i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there!

It's been a while since I built my last Hackintosh, so I am a little rusty.
Also, this will be quite an unorthodox build so there are a few ideas I am looking forward to get from you guys! :)

I know the basics of building a Hackintosh, although I need some suggestions regarding HW compatibility, possible replacements and accessories that I will need.

Important:
Fully functional SOLID build with:
- Airdrop
- Audio
- full HW utilization (2x CPU and 2x GPU)

The Build:

- Motherboard:

This is OEM HP mobo, data below
1597514623039.png

- CPU:
2x Intel Xeon Gold 5118
So, yeah, I don't know how dual CPU is going to work here.

- RAM:
128GB ECC 2400mhz
8 / 24 slots in use
SK Hynix HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK

I think it is this one:

- STORAGE:
1. Samsung SM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB x 1 (main)
2. Samsung SM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB x 4
3. Some HDDs

I know I had some issues with those Samsung SSDs on Mojave. If someone can confirm that they are not compatible, I will replace them with 970 PRO or similar. I had a very good experience with 970 PRO on a Hackintosh in the past.

- GRAPHICS:
I currently run Quadro RTX6000, which will be replaced with AMD Radeon VII (or Pro VII) x2. I know that Nvidia is not compatible anymore.
If you have any other suggestions regarding the GPU, please let me know.

- ETHERNET:
I have a few inputs, at least one of them should be fine. I use 1gbps, so I don't worry about this.
6x I219-LM ports - I know this one works
4x X550-T2 ports

- WIFI and BT:
I need a card suggestion as I need Airdrop to work.

- AUDIO:
No idea here. MOBO uses some Realtek HD hardware.
If some HW is needed, please let me know.

---

It is important for me that the front USB connection works as well. I know this might be an issue (from experience from my previous build).
If it won't work, I'll just connect some compatible USB adapters.

Thank you very much for your HW suggestions and help! Any ideas are more than appreciated.

Kind regards,
Miha

Last edited:
Hi there!

It's been a while since I built my last Hackintosh, so I am a little rusty.
Also, this will be quite an unorthodox build so there are a few ideas I am looking forward to get from you guys! :)

I know the basics of building a Hackintosh, although I need some suggestions regarding HW compatibility, possible replacements and accessories that I will need.

Important:
Fully functional SOLID build with:
- Airdrop
- Audio
- full HW utilization (2x CPU and 2x GPU)

The Build:

- Motherboard:
This is OEM HP mobo, data below
View attachment 484365

- CPU:
2x Intel Xeon Gold 5118
So, yeah, I don't know how dual CPU is going to work here.

- RAM:
128GB ECC 2400mhz
8 / 24 slots in use
SK Hynix HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK

I think it is this one:

- STORAGE:
1. Samsung SM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB x 1 (main)
2. Samsung SM961 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB x 4
3. Some HDDs

I know I had some issues with those Samsung SSDs on Mojave. If someone can confirm that they are not compatible, I will replace them with 970 PRO or similar. I had a very good experience with 970 PRO on a Hackintosh in the past.

- GRAPHICS:
I currently run Quadro RTX6000, which will be replaced with AMD Radeon VII (or Pro VII) x2. I know that Nvidia is not compatible anymore.
If you have any other suggestions regarding the GPU, please let me know.

- ETHERNET:
I have a few inputs, at least one of them should be fine. I use 1gbps, so I don't worry about this.
6x I219-LM ports - I know this one works
4x X550-T2 ports

- WIFI and BT:
I need a card suggestion as I need Airdrop to work.

- AUDIO:
No idea here. MOBO uses some Realtek HD hardware.
If some HW is needed, please let me know.

---

It is important for me that the front USB connection works as well. I know this might be an issue (from experience from my previous build).
If it won't work, I'll just connect some compatible USB adapters.

Thank you very much for your HW suggestions and help! Any ideas are more than appreciated.

Kind regards,
Miha

Board:
I am going to guess to say that motherboard is not going to have a guide for it. You may have to run Linux Host with a Mac OS Guest Hypervisor.

Could be easier to go with an X299 system and a 10900x CPU but that only gives you 10core/20threads Or you could go with just a Z490 and a 10900k and get 10core/20 threads unless you need the extra PCIE lanes. Best of all you could get a decent amount of help with z490 or x299.

Graphics:
Unless the software you use supports dual video cards it is pointless to have on a Mac. Card choice is the best at the moment

Wifi:
Fenvi cards work well for Wifi and BT.

Memory:
Is fine

Audio:
What Codec is it using?

Hard Drive:
I have no idea if there is or ever was a problem with those drives but if you had issues in the past no reason to think those issues went away unless Samsung released a new firmware.

Board:
I am going to guess to say that motherboard is not going to have a guide for it. You may have to run Linux Host with a Mac OS Guest Hypervisor.

Could be easier to go with an X299 system and a 10900x CPU but that only gives you 10core/20threads Or you could go with just a Z490 and a 10900k and get 10core/20 threads unless you need the extra PCIE lanes. Best of all you could get a decent amount of help with z490 or x299.

Graphics:
Unless the software you use supports dual video cards it is pointless to have on a Mac. Card choice is the best at the moment

Wifi:
Fenvi cards work well for Wifi and BT.

Memory:
Is fine

Audio:
What Codec is it using?

Hard Drive:
I have no idea if there is or ever was a problem with those drives but if you had issues in the past no reason to think those issues went away unless Samsung released a new firmware.

Hi there!

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback!

CPU / BOARD:

Yeah, I should probably mention that I am not changing those. I will stick with 2x Xeon Gold and that MOBO.

After a little digging, I found out that the chipset is C621 (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97338/intel-c621-chipset.html), which is the only chipset that that CPU support.

I am gonna give it a try with this one, as now I can at least follow some guides for the chipset. :)

Graphics:
No problems here - already bought the Vega Pro 7 x2. :)

Wifi:

Do those Fenvi cards support airdrop? Are any kexts or configs needed?

Audio:
I don't know? How can I check this?

Hard drives:
I have ordered new Samsung drives, I will report soon. :)

Thank you!

Hi there!

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback!

As far as I can tell they are not installing Mac OS they are transplanting a drive that was already working in another system so keep that in mind. Also the video you link was not a guide it is just showing that it is working.

I have a Fenvi Card I have no kext to configure it, air drop, hand off, watch, all work for me.

As for the sound you might need to figure it out on HP website. Otherwise you could just get a external USB sound card.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell they are not installing Mac OS they are transplanting a drive that was already working in another system so keep that in mind. Also the video you link was not a guide it is just showing that it is working.

I have a Fenvi Card I have no kext to configure it, air drop, hand off, watch, all work for me.

As for the sound you might need to figure it out on HP website. Otherwise you could just get a external USB sound card.
I know it is not a guide, but there are some suggestions in the video.
They are not just transferring a drive from another system as they mention that the instalation went without any major issues.

I will try this Fenvi card, thanks!
Also, I had some issues with Realtec in the past, but managed to get it to work. If I wont be able to make that happen i am going to buy some external dac.

thanks!

I know it is not a guide, but there are some suggestions in the video.
They are not just transferring a drive from another system as they mention that the instalation went without any major issues.

I will try this Fenvi card, thanks!
Also, I had some issues with Realtec in the past, but managed to get it to work. If I wont be able to make that happen i am going to buy some external dac.

thanks!

They said at 6:07 in the that they used their previous clover vm as their baseline. That would lead me to believe they took their VM install and transplanted it. I am not sure they said anywhere that they installed it. To be honest it would be far far faster if you just cloned your current hack modified the EFI to work with the new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back