Contribute
Register

Hardware combination with the simplest install procedure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370N
CPU
i5 6core 2.8GHz
Graphics
UHD630
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi,

I am looking for a combination of hardware which has the simplest install procedure.
Preferably with a motherboard that can later support an upgrade.

Price and performance is not irrelevant, but a simple install procedure and stable system is more important.

-I tried making a hackintosh many years ago, but it only survived a few months due to instability and upgrade issues.
I would like to try again, and would like to start with a success :)

Sorry if this has been asked a ton of times.
/thanks

Hi,

I am looking for a combination of hardware which has the simplest install procedure.
Preferably with a motherboard that can later support an upgrade.

Price and performance is not irrelevant, but a simple install procedure and stable system is more important.

-I tried making a hackintosh many years ago, but it only survived a few months due to instability and upgrade issues.
I would like to try again, and would like to start with a success :)

Sorry if this has been asked a ton of times.
/thanks
check the guides sections:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/sierra-desktop-guides.187

will give you an idea on hardware and installation procedures

Thank you for the quick reply!
I have had a look on those, and also the golden builds. But I find it very difficult to judge the complexity and stability of the builds. But fantastic that people share their experience.

Is there somewhere you Can see how many times a build has been made ?

Last edited:
The CPU and chipset are a few generations old, but for simplicity, the HP Elite 8300 is hard to beat. I wrote about my experiences with it here. Quite a few others have shared their experiences with these systems as well. Plus, they can often be found at very steep discounts.

@MacroMe If you like plain vanilla then this is the system for you.
There isn't really much difference in speed, as perceived by the user, (not benchmarks) between the older Ivy Bridge CPU based systems and the current ones that cost hundreds of dollars more. The Elite 8300 makes a great starter system for beginners. If you can make a Sierra Unibeast installer and checkmark a few basic selections in Multibeast, it's incredibly easy to have success with the installation. Just select an 8300 with a Core I5 or I7 and add a compatible graphics card like a GT710 and it's going to lead to a working system without much struggle or countless hours reading through forum threads for fixes/patches/kexts etc. Even simple procedures like entering boot flags are not needed for the macOS Sierra install on these.

Here's another beginners guide that complements pastrychef's for the 8300. The 6300 is pretty much identical in regard to the install / post install.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-tower-macos-sierra-i5-3470-msi-gt640.224812/

Last edited:
Gigabyte z87x-d3h, with a 4770 CPU or 4670. I could do it in my sleep. Simple install with Unibeast and the audio, video, and network all easily handled with Multibeast. You can upgrade to a Haswell 4790k. I don't think there's such thing as future proof. It will get alteast 5+ years of OSX support. I doubt future OSX will need a minimum of quad-core CPU.

@newtype I have a Z87x-UD5H with 4770K and it isn't simple for me.
I can't boot without the USB flash drive inserted. Suggestions of something I may have missed?
Multibeast finished with successful.

Wow, this is an active forum !

The 8300 might be a good solution for me, plenty of used ones around to play with.

Would something like this work: (maybe except for SSD, I can see it is not on the BuyersGuide)

HP Microtower, Compaq Elite 8300, Intel Core i7-3770 CPU – 3.40 Ghz, 8 GB ram, Kingston HyperX 480 GB SSD

(used for ~500$, but I can also get an i3 for ~180$)

Thanks for the replies,

Yes, that could work. Maybe consider getting 16GB instead of 8GB. I've found that macOS starts to use swap memory too easily with just 8GB.

Try checking the Deals Of The Day sub-forum for deals on the 8300. I'm sure you can get one for much less than $500. Maybe half that...

@newtype I have a Z87x-UD5H with 4770K and it isn't simple for me.
I can't boot without the USB flash drive inserted. Suggestions of something I may have missed?
Multibeast finished with successful.

It sounds pretty obvious your system profile selected is not close to your setup. I would pick imac 14,2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back