Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i5BEH
CPU
i5-8259U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
I am thinking of doing my first Hackintosh build.

I want to start with the CustoMac Budget ATX, but had a few questions

Looking at the motherboard recommendations (Gigabyte H370 HD3 or Gigabyte Z370P D3), I am leaning towards the H370. I don’t think I will be doing any overclocking, and I like the various graphics outputs and onboard ethernet it has. Are there any other considerations or reasons why I might want to go with the z370?

I am thinking of upgrading from the i3-8100 CPU to the i5-8600. Are there any limitations in the other components that I might need to adjust due to this?

For my storage, I want to start with a 250gb SSD drive. I have never used an M.2 drive before, so I am really interested in giving that a try. After looking at the forum posts, it looks like if I go with NVMe I should be fine?

I was thinking that at some point I may want to switch from internal graphics to a card….but the prices seem to still be high. I have an old EVGA GTX660 lying around, but it looks like I am better off waiting before trying that, especially since I see a bunch of posts that seem to indicate “glitches” with that card.

Thanks for any advice as I want to make sure I start out with the right hardware

The newer H370, B360, and H310 chipsets have updated USB chipset and may require a little bit more tinkering to get through the installation process.

Graphics outputs depends on what type of display(s) you will be using. Here are some general rules:
  • macOS dropped support for VGA long ago, so don't expect that to work.
  • macOS doesn't have support for 4K@60Hz over HDMI. There are some instance of it working, but, again, it should not be expected. macOS does have support for 4K@30Hz over HDMI.
  • DisplayPort generally works best with macOS.
If using i3-8100 and IGPU, see the following guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...0-native-support-with-gfxid-injection.240585/

NVMe support was added in High Sierra, but even so, not all NVMe drives work flawlessly. Check with forum members here before clicking the "Buy" button.

Your GTX 660 should work without issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back