Contribute
Register

Hardware Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting a new Hackintosh project and hope to get some advise from the awesome experts here before investing in hardware. My goal is to create a dual boot replacement for my aging MacPro. I want to create something with up to date hardware that can continue to be upgraded over time. I have only tried to create one Hackintosh previously and that was over ten years ago. I could not get it to boot up consistently and eventually gave up. I want plenty of room for additional drives and graphic slots. Something that will last. I don't know how all components work with one another and so would appreciate any insights anyone might have. Here is my list so far:

• Asus Motherboard ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Z170 WS
• Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC
• Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K
• Corsair HXi Series, HX1000i, 1000 Watt (1000W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified
• Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case
• Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
• Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) Mac Boot
• Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) Windows Boot
• EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (to use for now until I can go with Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8 GB or the GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition)

Additionally, if anyone knows of a prebuilt system that can be turned into what I am trying to build, I would value know that as well.

Thanks in advance for your insights and help.

I am starting a new Hackintosh project and hope to get some advise from the awesome experts here before investing in hardware. My goal is to create a dual boot replacement for my aging MacPro. I want to create something with up to date hardware that can continue to be upgraded over time. I have only tried to create one Hackintosh previously and that was over ten years ago. I could not get it to boot up consistently and eventually gave up. I want plenty of room for additional drives and graphic slots. Something that will last. I don't know how all components work with one another and so would appreciate any insights anyone might have. Here is my list so far:

• Asus Motherboard ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 Z170 WS
• Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin BLS2K16G4D240FSC
• Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K
• Corsair HXi Series, HX1000i, 1000 Watt (1000W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified
• Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition, Full Tower ATX Case
• Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
• Samsung 850 EVO - 1TB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM) Mac Boot
• Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) Windows Boot
• EVGA GeForce GTX 680 (to use for now until I can go with Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8 GB or the GeForce GTX 1060 Founders Edition)

Additionally, if anyone knows of a prebuilt system that can be turned into what I am trying to build, I would value know that as well.

Thanks in advance for your insights and help.
That 1000W PSU is way overkill. A Corsair HX650i would be more than adequate for the hardware you list and save you $100.
Also be aware that the i series PSUs and coolers are wasted in an OS X build since there is no app to run the system in OS X.
You need to be running Windows to use the functionality the i series gives you. If you are going to be running OS X most of the time, then the HX650 and the H100 will do the job and save a bit more $$. I used the i series in my X99 build and found it did not make much of a difference between disabled and running in Windows and had no effect in OS X. In fact, running OS X the fans ran full out because the controller on the pumping unit is full out by default. I would rather run the pump at 100% all of the time and let the CPU fan control on the board modulate the fan speed.

Thanks so much for your advice.

I had thought the larger PS might come in handy in the future for the Windows boot (possible multiple GPU card configs?) I want to try for longevity (via updating) as well as stability.

Do you foresee and fan management problems (macOS boot) with the Cosair tower I have chosen?

Has anyone had any success in cloning their macOS SSD prior to initial booting rather than loading the OS separately as per this site's directions?

I also recently replaced my old Mac Pro 5,1 with a hackintosh. After testing out my build for a few days, I pulled the SSD from my Mac Pro, reinstalled El Capitan on top of what was already there using a UniBeast created flash drive. Then, I ran MultiBeast to install some kexts and Clover to that SSD. All my apps, settings, etc. were retained and everything worked. YMMV!

On my build, I went with air cooling I've been very happy with how quiet it is and how effective my cooling solution has been. Here is a link to my build description which details my experiences transitioning from a Mac Pro to a hackintosh: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/pastrychefs-build-asus-maximus-viii-gene-i7-6700k-gtx-980.198470/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back