Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rog STRIX Z390-E
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1080
Hello dear community !

After many attemps of resolving my problem I can't figure out the cause, so hopefully you'll save my life ! I’ve just completed a direct upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina. I tweaked the best I could my EFI partition to the new macOS version following plenty of guides, and added the required Kexts according to my build:

Build
Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E
CPU: Intel i9-9900k
RAM: 4x8 Go DDR4 3200 MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB
dGPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 8Go
Display: Acer Predator Z35 35’‘ 200 Hz

BIOS Settings
-Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration:
Vt-d Disabled
-Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration:
Primary Display -> PCIE
iGPU Multi-Monitor Enabled
DVMT Pre-Allocated 256M
RC6(Render Standby) Auto

If I plug DP cable to iGPU and set BIOS option Primary Display to “CPU Graphics”, I can’t boot to mac. Indeed, at the end of the progression bar, the display suddenly turns off and the computer reboots.
As I have a dual boot (macOS Catalina + Windows 10 on separate SSDs), and my GPU is no longer supported, I’d like to get a headless iGPU configuration. I would like my monitor to be plugged to the dGPU using DP but iGPU must be working when booting macOS. I’m pretty close to that, everything is booting fine except I don’t have hardware acceleration and my monitor can’t be configured to change resolution or increase the refresh rate in settings.
What’s odd, is when checking « About this mac » informations in « graphics » section is written « Display 16 Mb » as if iGPU wasn’t recognized (Screenshot 1).
But i guess it is because in the system report i can see under « PCI » section the iGPU « Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop 9 Series) », and in IORegistryExplorer as well (Screenshot 2).

Could somebody please help me to get HW acceleration with UHD 630 and 144Hz option for the display with headless configuration ? Please find my EFI folder attached and if you have a question or a suggestion of tweaking please let me know

Thank you in advance !

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    35.5 MB · Views: 214
  • Screenshot 1.png
    Screenshot 1.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot 2.png
    Screenshot 2.png
    194.8 KB · Views: 158
Nvidia GTX 1080

There are no Catalina drivers for your Nvidia GTX 1080.

I’d like to get a headless iGPU configuration

Headless means with no monitor connected.
So in summary you want to run an unsupported graphics card with no output from your integrated graphics ?

Thanks for your reply and sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I would like to keep my cable plugged to GTX 1080 but only use UHD 630 in macOS. From what I understood, that's what headless configuration allows, doesn't it ?

Thanks for your reply and sorry if I wasn't clear enough. I would like to keep my cable plugged to GTX 1080 but only use UHD 630 in macOS. From what I understood, that's what headless configuration allows, doesn't it ?

Headless = no monitor connected ("head" being the monitor)

I have not heard of anyone using an unsupported Nvidia video card and getting acceleration from the IGPU via pass through.

I would like to keep my cable plugged to GTX 1080 but only use UHD 630 in macOS.
You'd need a custom SSDT to disable the 1080 and then you could use UHD 630 exclusively. Ideally from an onboard DP output. Search for posts by RehabMan in the laptops forum.

You do have onboard DP so try that.

Screen Shot 26.jpg

Thank you for your answers, I’m going to spend a little time looking for that kind of solution, and keep you informed if it solves the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back