Contribute
Register

Hard Drive Not VIsible In OSX Installation

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi there!

I've been sitting here in front of the computer for a few days now trying to get Mountain Lion onto my desktop. I've come pretty far but it isn't quite working yet.

So, I managed to boot the OSX ML installation. However, when I look in the Disk Utility, the only drive I can see is the one I'm booting from (my USB drive). I have AHCI enabled. I'm unsure whether the computer actually boots with these settings, though, cause when I reboot the settings are reset.

Hardware related:
Gigabyte P55 motherboard
Western Digital 640GB (unsure of size, but something like that)
Intel Core i5-750

beelzebozo

Super Moderator
Motherboard
ASUS z170-Deluxe
CPU
i7 - 6700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there!

I've been sitting here in front of the computer for a few days now trying to get Mountain Lion onto my desktop. I've come pretty far but it isn't quite working yet.

So, I managed to boot the OSX ML installation. However, when I look in the Disk Utility, the only drive I can see is the one I'm booting from (my USB drive). I have AHCI enabled. I'm unsure whether the computer actually boots with these settings, though, cause when I reboot the settings are reset.

Hardware related:
Gigabyte P55 motherboard
Intel Core i5-750

Is your hard drive a SATA drive or a PATA drive?

Motherboard
Mavericks 10.9.3
CPU
Intel i5 3570k @ 4.3Ghz
Graphics
Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there!

Hardware related:
Gigabyte P55 motherboard
Intel Core i5-750

There's an old Lion trick where you install Bridgehelper 4.0.1 to your USB drive. It may seem far fetched, but I don't really know how it works. Bridgehelper 5.0.0 hides your SATA drives, much like what you are describing. If you are running out of options, I'd give it a try.
Good luck

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
There's an old Lion trick where you install Bridgehelper 4.0.1 to your USB drive. It may seem far fetched, but I don't really know how it works. Bridgehelper 5.0.0 hides your SATA drives, much like what you are describing. If you are running out of options, I'd give it a try.
Good luck

I have the same problem. I installed Bridgehelper to my usb and when I get into the installer, I cannot see my HD in Disk Utility. It is set to AHCI and I can see it in my BIOS. The Drive has Lion on it and it still shows in the bootloader. I tried swapping SATA ports but that didn't help either. How can I get it to show in Disk Utility?

i5 3570K
ASUS p8h77