GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Is Your Hard Drive Starting To Fail

images-2.jpeg

As the title says is your hard drive starting to Fail. I have never experienced this before but I will explain my situation which is worth noting. Its a brilliant feature built into hard drives of today.

Yesterday I was going over my drives deleting unused files/documents and media to back up my system. Ready for a clean back up, formatting my partition when I came across a warning in Disk Utility.
Shown in the first picture you will see that my Western Digital 1TB hard drive is highlighted in RED

Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 08.54.04.png
Wondering what the issue could be I clicked on my WD hard drive to find out. Clearly shown in the next picture it reveals:

"The drive has a hardware problem that can't be repaired. Back up as much data as possible and replace the disk. See an authorised Apple dealer for more information"​

At the bottom you can see the S.M.A.R.T Status : Failing

What Is S.M.A.R.T?
S.M.A.R.T is an acronym for Self Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology and is scheme built into hard drives, rather than computers. If a drive reports that it's failed this diagnosis test it indicates that the drive is on it's way out.
Screen Shot 2014-11-21 at 08.54.25.png
This doesn't mean the drive is going to hard drive heaven immediately but at some point it's going to happen. At the moment I have everything duplicated from this drive on my NAS so i'm not panicking but wanted to share this just incase you come across this and you don't have an alternate back up for larger storage devices. I've ordered a new drive and will replace it when it fails. Interested at this point how long it will last.

If you've experienced this, post your comments below.

Related Posts:
Backup Solutions For Your Mac or CustoMac