Register

Hard drive caddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
R9 290X
This one is to any of you who've done the mods before, I'm sure you're all familiar with the 8 pin power cable with 2 sata power and one molex on the end of it. Can i plug that into my powersupply and use it? It'd be much easier to just do that than for me to have to make a new one :crazy:

Yes, It's possible. I actually have an additional adapter cable left over from an old stock G5 mod, and the pinout basically goes to 2 Molex connectors and is a standard 4+4pin EPS CPU power connector.

The pinout is labeled according to the wires on a standard ATX PSU:
Red: 5V, Black: 0V/GND, Yellow: 12V

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 179
Yes, It's possible. I actually have an additional adapter cable left over from an old stock G5 mod, and the pinout basically goes to 2 Molex connectors and is a standard 4+4pin EPS CPU power connector.

So connect it to an 8pin CPU cable, as opposed to PCIE?

No, It's an 8 Pin EPS connector, It has to be modified to suit the voltages, and thats what the diagram is for. If you just plug in CPU power, you will end up frying your derives and anything else connected to the cable. Since the grounds are sometimes connected on drives, you may even blow your PSU...

So to answer your question, No, you dont connect either otherwise the aforementioned fireworks will be the result.

No, It's an 8 Pin EPS connector, It has to be modified to suit the voltages, and thats what the diagram is for. If you just plug in CPU power, you will end up frying your derives and anything else connected to the cable. Since the grounds are sometimes connected on drives, you may even blow your PSU...

So to answer your question, No, you dont connect either otherwise the aforementioned fireworks will be the result.
Ok, i understand now.
Thanks man

Ok i said i understand but i'm not sure i do.
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but do you mean to say you attached it to a two molex to EPS adapter? Is it a special of the type, or just dual molex to EPS?
Is this the type?
dual-4pin-molex-8pin-eps-adapter-internal-power-cable-pc.png
Only three pins p/molex

Hi NormantheOwl,

That cable would certainly not work and kill PSU / system with fireworks as akhilv1 explained.

As akhilv1 says the connector is of the same type as an "8 Pin EPS connector", but, the pin-outs, the wiring is NOT the same.
The pin-out is like a molex connector. In that they are 5v, ground, ground and 12v on the top and bottom rows.

This diagram shows the pin-out of a standard 8 pin eps-12v connector very different from akhilv1´s diagram. Simply 12v on the top row and ground on the bottom.

P.S. Thanks for the info akhilv1 helpful if you want to convert the original cable. might do that on the next build. ty!

Attachments

• 1000x2000px-LL-ac82eb1d_pinout.png
    1000x2000px-LL-ac82eb1d_pinout.png
    139 KB · Views: 322
Hi NormantheOwl,

That cable would certainly not work and kill PSU / system with fireworks as akhilv1 explained.

As akhilv1 says the connector is of the same type as an "8 Pin EPS connector", but, the pin-outs, the wiring is NOT the same.
The pin-out is like a molex connector. In that they are 5v, ground, ground and 12v on the top and bottom rows.

This diagram shows the pin-out of a standard 8 pin eps-12v connector very different from akhilv1´s diagram. Simply 12v on the top row and ground on the bottom.

P.S. Thanks for the info akhilv1 helpful if you want to convert the original cable. might do that on the next build. ty!
Ok, it's starting to get clearer now. You two have been immensely helpful, now i just need to figure out how i would change 12v to 5v :crazy:

I'm fairly new to PC based electronics, lol

Ok, it's starting to get clearer now. You two have been immensely helpful, now i just need to figure out how i would change 12v to 5v :crazy:

I'm fairly new to PC based electronics, lol

Norman please take a look at this as it may help.

If this is the cable that you are asking about?

pwr-cbl.jpg

Then this is my drawing of the connectivity:

PowerCbl.jpg

This is looking into the connectors. Note the connector profiles.

You could reuse this cable as is by connecting your PSU 5VDC, 12VDC and Ground to the 8 pin Apple connector.

Good modding,
neil

Norman please take a look at this as it may help.

If this is the cable that you are asking about?

-snip-

Then this is my drawing of the connectivity:

-snip

This is looking into the connectors. Note the connector profiles.

You could reuse this cable as is by connecting your PSU 5VDC, 12VDC and Ground to the 8 pin Apple connector.

Good modding,
neil
Yes, that's the cable i was asking about, i apologize if i was not clear enough.

what i had planned on doing it is reusing it, but it wasn't clear how. Now i think i'm understanding. You've all helped a lot, i especially thank you for taking time to make a diagram for me. That'll be immensely useful, i planned on shortening the cable (depending on where i mount the caddy). Keep an eye out for a build log from me in the future, maybe ;)

I would presume custom making a 2x molex to 8 pin would be easiest, for now?
It might not be too hard to reverse engineer it (keep in mind i've little idea what i'm doing) to go straight back to the pin that on my PSU...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back