Contribute
Register

Hard crashing after high CPU load (macOS 11.5, OpenCore 0.7.1 Debug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe
CPU
E5-2695 V4
Graphics
2x RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hey there! It's my first time posting but I'm hoping you lovely folks can give me a hand here.

I recently completed building my video editing system. It's running an i9-9900k on a Strip Z370-F board and using an RX6800 as a GPU.
I can boot perfectly into macOS, everything is running fine and all until I put the system under load. Within 3 minutes of coming out of that high load period, the system hard crashes. I have 3 different error reports, all saying different stuff but all generated from the same event; Render in Resolve and then hard crash when trying to do anything else.

I'm running a MacPro7,1 SMBIOS (which I am aware isn't recommended, however I had issues with H264 encoding using the iMac19,1 SMBIOS), I've mapped my USB ports and have fixed power management. I have also gone through the MMIOWhitelisting process and ensured that my memory map is correct. If anyone else needs any other specs/details, please ask! I'm happy to share my EFI or any logs that I can find. What I am noticing in the Console applications is a large number of VTDecoderXPCService crashes, but I'm not too sure if they're linked.

Thanks!
Caylem.

Attachments

• unknown-2.png
    unknown-2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • unknown.png
    unknown.png
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 4.05.21 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 4.05.21 pm.png
    1 MB · Views: 99
Had another two crashes so far, one related to an exFAT drive causing a kernel panic and the other a nice ol' bog-standard type 14 page fault error. Attaching logs for reference. I've also got a bunch of crashes in the console to do with WindowServer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.20.20 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.20.20 pm.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.27.28 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 5.27.28 pm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
Had another two crashes so far, one related to an exFAT drive causing a kernel panic and the other a nice ol' bog-standard type 14 page fault error. Attaching logs for reference. I've also got a bunch of crashes in the console to do with WindowServer.
assume you have an exfat drive plugged into your machine?

I did, but that has since been pulled. Same behaviour, got the second page fault type=14 error as shown above in the attached files.
assume you have an exfat drive plugged into your machine?

I did, but that has since been pulled. Same behaviour, got the second page fault type=14 error as shown above in the attached files.
does it still crash out when you use iMac19,1 system definition?

does it still crash out when you use iMac19,1 system definition?
It would crash out frequently however when I fixed power management and mapped USB ports, it stopped.
The reason I couldn't use that system definition is because H264 renders would become garbled when hardware accelerated. I mean really garbled. When I switched to using MacPro7,1 that all stopped.

It would crash out frequently however when I fixed power management and mapped USB ports, it stopped.
The reason I couldn't use that system definition is because H264 renders would become garbled when hardware accelerated. I mean really garbled. When I switched to using MacPro7,1 that all stopped.
did you setup your machine "headless"

I did yes.
I am willing to completely reconfigure the system with your advice should you think I’ll have a better time on iMac19,1?

I did yes.
I am willing to completely reconfigure the system with your advice should you think I’ll have a better time on iMac19,1?
i think that would be best

if you go back to iMac19,1, don't forget to edit your usbports.kext info.plist and make sure it says iMac19,1 inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back