Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have the Fenvi adapter with an Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD iMac WiFI/BT card (both bought from Amazon.com) in a build with an MSI H77M G43 and i5 3570K and it work just fine. Also tested it in the X58A build in my sig.
The only problem I see is that the card seems to be hard to find today - Amazon.com now only has the European version, which does not work in the US.

Yes, you need the converter and wireless card. You can purchase one that is already assembled. They are more expensive but it saves you the trouble of doing it yourself. If it's hackintosh compatible then no, you don't need a USB BT dongle.

See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BC...PCi-E-WiFi-Adapter-Bluetooth-4-0/302000482894

I have not purchased or tried this one, just showing it as an example. Do your own research into what sellers would be the most reliable.

That links to a BCM94331CD, not a BCM94360CD, model.
The BCM94331CD is an older model supporting only 802.11 a/b/g/n and BT4.0 while the BCM94360CD also supports the faster 802.11 ac + BT4.0

I have also found this subject rather confusing.

From what I can tell not having Continuity/Handoff support means you don't have WiFi. Which means you're likely plugging in via an ethernet port. So if you have both Wifi and Bluetooth working, you have Continuity/Handoff support.

As far as I know the TP-Link card gives you Wifi, but not Bluetooth. And the Bluetooth dongles don't work because Continuity/Handoff looks for Bluetooth over PCI Express.

Is this correct?

I have also found this subject rather confusing.

From what I can tell not having Continuity/Handoff support means you don't have WiFi. Which means you're likely plugging in via an ethernet port. So if you have both Wifi and Bluetooth working, you have Continuity/Handoff support.

As far as I know the TP-Link card gives you Wifi, but not Bluetooth. And the Bluetooth dongles don't work because Continuity/Handoff looks for Bluetooth over PCI Express.

Is this correct?
Continuity/handoff has nothing to do with whether or not you connect WiFI to the internet or not or whether you are paired with a BT keyboard/mouse/other BT device. It has to do with moving your connection from your mobile device to your desktop/laptop PC - "handing off" what you were doing on your iPhone or iPad to the PC in effect or vice versa.
You can have WiFi and BT and no C&HO and have no problems at all. You just will not have the total "Apple Experience".
If you do not have an iPhone or an iPad then do not worry about it.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

Continuity/handoff has nothing to do with whether or not you connect WiFI to the internet or not or whether you are paired with a BT keyboard/mouse/other BT device. It has to do with moving your connection from your mobile device to your desktop/laptop PC - "handing off" what you were doing on your iPhone or iPad to the PC in effect or vice versa.

Didn't say you had to be connected or paired. I said WiFi and Bluetooth have to be working over PCI Express. As far as I know Apple has a hardwired restriction that it has to be done with hardware. Using an Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD/BCM943602CS/etc is the easiest thing to do, but it's not always possible. Like with a Mini ITX board where you want to use a graphics card.

I've read in numerous places an M.2 combo card with a Broadcom chipset (BCM94352Z) work with Continuity/Handoff w/ some patching. Some of the newer chipsets don't, but in those cases Wifi/Bluetooth don't work at all for other purposes either.

I haven't come across any PCIe/M.2 combo cards that aren't Broadcom that work at all, even for internet or pairing. That's due to a lack of drivers though.

You can have WiFi and BT and no C&HO and have no problems at all. You just will not have the total "Apple Experience".
If you do not have an iPhone or an iPad then do not worry about it.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

The only situation I know of where that happens is with a TP-Link PCIe Wifi card (Airdrop over Wifi works) and a USB bluetooth dongle (doesn't work because it's not a "hardware device"). Are there other situations where WiFi and Bluetooth are working over PCIe with no C&HO support? There are a lot of topics with varying information, so I could have missed something.

I got Handoff/continuity working with TP link T6E archer and USB Asus BT400 / Gmyle, etc. Just needed a kext patch and voila

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back