Graphics
Zotac 9800GT 1GB Synergy Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have posted this issue on the HandBrake forum and they have suggested that it's an hardware issue and I should take it in to an Apple store to get checked out. Obvioulsy can'd do that! :D

When I try and rip a DVD with HandBrake everything starts as you would expect, but after about 10 minutes HandBrake advises me that I should put down my cocktail as it had finished ripping. When I check the folder I can see the file it has created, but it is only a few hundred MBs in size. When I play back the file there is only about 20 minutes of the film there.

I then checked in Finder and notice that the DVD is no longer mounted, and when I checked Disk Utility my optical drive is no longer showing! I have to restart the machine to bring it back.

Anyone come across this issue before? I dont think its my hardware as I can import CDs etc to iTunes without issue..

I am running 10.7.4 witha custom DSDT - GA-P55M-UD2 and everything else works perfectly and is incredibly stable. (Apart from sleep - never got that bugger working!).

The only think that I am doing that has just occured to me is I am ripping to an HDD encrypted with FileVault - but this must be fairly normal practice?

Sounds like a bad DVD drive.

Try ripping with MakeMKV first then encoding with HandBrake. It's an extra step but has always worked for me. MakeMKV can do BluRay, too.

Maybe rip and encode to a non-encrypted HD.

As this is now causing issues outside of HandBrake I have posted this again in the Lion section.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68697

Sounds like a bad DVD drive.

Try ripping with MakeMKV first then encoding with HandBrake. It's an extra step but has always worked for me. MakeMKV can do BluRay, too.

Maybe rip and encode to a non-encrypted HD.

+1 for ripping with MakeMKV then convert to desired format with Handbrake. This is also my preferred method.

Solved this issue by replacing my Samsung with a Sony Optiarc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back