Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi everyone !

I just installed my first hackintosh and I should say some aspects went pretty well. First, here's my build :

- Mobo : Gigabyte GA-H270M-D3H
- CPU : Intel Core Kabylake i7-7700K Processeur 4,20 GHz
- Graphics Card : MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G
- RAM : Ballistix Sport LT 64Go DDR4 2400 MT/s
- CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D15S
- M.2 SSD : Samsung 960 PRO 512 Go
- PSU : BeQuiet! BN211 Power Zone 750W 80 Plus Bronze
- Wifi/Bluetooth Card : ABWB 802.11AC Bluetooth 4.0 WI-FI PCI Express
- Case : Fractal Design Define Mini C

I built my computer from the ground up, everything went well except a defective PSU (released white smoke) that I exchanged for a new one.

Here's what worked right away :
- Ethernet
- Wifi
- Sleep

What worked after a little fight :
- Nvme (SSD M.2) disk not detected in the install, I explain below what I did to use it as a boot drive
- Graphics Card detected, but no video playback.
- Sound detected in the settings, but no audio playback.

--- NVme (SSD M2) Installation :

Here's my build summary :

Config.png

My first issue was that my install didn't detect my M.2 drive. I searched everywhere and RehabMan's thread was way too complicated for a beginner like me, didn't understand a bit. Luckily, I found this very simple fix by Nick Woodhams. So what I did was install Sierra on a 'classic' hard-drive, and in the OS, apply Nick's trick. It indeed made my M2 appear in Disk Utility. I could format it and Carbon Copy my OS into it. It booted without problems on the Nvme boot drive.

--- Graphics Post-Installation :

After that, the OS was glitchy but I guessed it was because the Graphics Card wasn't detected yet. I first manually edited my config.plist and found the following section :

<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>

And edited it the following way in order to disable the Intel Graphics and active Nvidia :

<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<false/>
<key>NVidia</key>
<true/>
</dict>

What happened then was weird. In 'About This Mac', it displayed my Graphics Card but with the wrong memory capacity :

AboutOld.png

And the glitches were still there. I then followed the Method 6 of slim.jim with Clover EFI v2 by activating EmuVariableUefi-64 and it solved it. Until I noticed on the boot that half-way through the loading, the screen went black. I deactivated 'Inject Nvidia' but kept 'NvidiaWeb' in Clover boot options and it worked. I then deactivated 'Inject Nvidia' in Clover Configurator and it's running ok now.

About.png

The problem now is that I have no video playback when I launch a video on my desktop or Youtube. Can you help me on that ?

--- Sound Post-Installation :

At first I didn't have any device in the Sound setup panel. I don't know what happened but when I updated my Nvidia parameters, sound appeared as well !

Sound.png

SoundClover.png

But same as the video, I don't hear anything.

--- About High Sierra install package size

By the way, I understood something about the High Sierra install package. When I was downloading it from Mountain Lion (my previous build), the file size was 19Mb. But when I downloaded it from Sierra, I got the full 5Gb package. Since I had trouble understanding why I had this difference, I hope it will help people with the same issue.

--- Some help please ?

My questions :

- How could I get Audio/Video playback please ?
- How can I know that my computer is really in Sleep mode ? When it's put to sleep, I still hear the fans and sometimes their sound gets a little louder for 2 seconds, like a small rush. Do you have any clue that could help me confirm that the Sleep mode is working right ?

Thanks in advance !

Start by going to the official Sound forum: https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/audio.14/

I would first try the Quick-Fix for 200 series, then the one labeled “ No Sound”

Hello Bob. Thanks for the links, I've gone through them and I will try some of the fixes. I'll update the post if anything new. Do you have any insight for video playback problems ? Thanks !

Do you have any insight for video playback problems ? Thanks !

My only suggestion is that you try to fix only ONE problem at a time. Fix the audio and only then would you work on something else. Those two might be related. @toleda has done some really detailed posts for working the audio problems out. Read them VERY carefully and then go have a cup of coffee and then read them again... He get's a lot of questions so his answers are always short and sweet but always points to a solution.

Read this post: gigabyte-h270m-d3h-no-sound.215019

Last edited:
My only suggestion is that you try to fix only ONE problem at a time. Fix the audio and only then would you work on something else. Those two might be related. @toleda has done some really detailed posts for working the audio problems out. Read them VERY carefully and then go have a cup of coffee and then read them again... He get's a lot of questions so his answers are always short and sweet but always points to a solution.

Read this post: gigabyte-h270m-d3h-no-sound.215019

Thank you very much for the advice and the links. Indeed I was trying to solve several things at the same time and I should focus on one thing at a time. The audio is not a priority for me since I have an external sound card, my main issue was the video playback and I didn't find detailed solutions on the forum.

I tried with High Sierra and I have the video playback but I have more troubles getting the graphics card working. Since I'd prefer working under HS, I'll try finding solutions on this OS version, and if too troublesome, switch back to Sierra. I'll read the links you gave me very carefully, thank you again !

Yes my friend, I ask to toleda, but my EFI folder was mounted to other people. My friend, give me your EFI folder, I will try mount for you, what do you think?? But don't forget to be create a new reserve pen drive boot with your original EFI.

Well thanks ! Maybe you could tell me who mounted your EFI and I explain to them directly ?

Hi, Hitokiri! Did you solve your problem? I have the same issue here (not being able to play anything, from youtube videos to personal mp3 or any kind of video/audio). And it seems that many other people here in this forum too...

Hi!

I have this motherboard and I have a problem with Sleep. My computer is closing all the programs when entering in sleep mode. Is it possible to configure normal sleep behavior?

@CezarW, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back