1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
[SUCCESS] Photostation: i7-4771 / GA-H87-D3H / GTX 660

Hi all. Almost a success with my workstation. OS X 10.9. UniBeast 3.0.1 & MultiBeast 6.0.1. 100% photo editing (Lightroom + Photoshop).

Intel Core i7-4771 3.5 GHz
Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
Crucial PC3-12800 8GB x4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
CoolerMaster GXII 550W
Samsung 840 256GB
Seagate 4 TB ST4000DM000 x3
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Dell U2713H
B&W MM-1

For the moment it works, blazingly fast and silent. Ethernet super fast and USB3 seem fine. BUT: my i1Display Pro display calibrator isn't working yet: system sees it "IOUSBHIDDriver device connected" but the i1Profiler doesn't see it even though plugged. What did I miss? Here are my settings after Multibeast:

Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.0 TRIM PatchDrivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 HWMonitor ApplicationDrivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal by Zenith432
Drivers > Network > Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS ResetBootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU StatesCustomize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - DesktopCustomize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display ModeCustomize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1Customize > Themes > Chameleon 2.2 Default

Discarded IGP and internal sound since I have discrete GPU & USB speakers. Any hint is welcome!

A quick feedback from my own: i1Display Pro now fully operational. The software didn't come with the latest XRD driver (1.4 vs. 1.5). Now fully working, a pleasure to work with even compared to the iMac sitting right next to the new workstation.

A quick feedback from my own: i1Display Pro now fully operational. The software didn't come with the latest XRD driver (1.4 vs. 1.5). Now fully working, a pleasure to work with even compared to the iMac sitting right next to the new workstation.

good to hear

I have a simmilar build, with (much less powerful components) gigabyte b85m d3h intel i5 4570 with igfx and a colormunki design also for post editing photos.

I had just set up my system and yet had chance to connect the colormunki with it. I reckon it will work fine.

Do you have speedstep working on your build? I only have idle 800mhz 3.2g nominal and 3.3g turbo working.

Which bootloader did you use? I used clover in uefi mode.

Which smibios profile did u use? I didnt designate one in the clover config profile, it automatically choose iMac 14,2 for me seemed to work fine, but yet to confrim its working without any flaws.

Thank you.
G

No Speedstep, want to keep the workstation as stable as possible. Even gave up Tuxera NTFS implementation, don't want to mess with anything. Had issues with USB ports, mostly that was due to Dell U2713H buggy implementation of USB3, better not use these.

Here is the current configuration:
Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 14.55.50.jpg

Hi all. Almost a success with my workstation. OS X 10.9. UniBeast 3.0.1 & MultiBeast 6.0.1. 100% photo editing (Lightroom + Photoshop).

Intel Core i7-4771 3.5 GHz
Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
Crucial PC3-12800 8GB x4
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
CoolerMaster GXII 550W
Samsung 840 256GB
Seagate 4 TB ST4000DM000 x3
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Dell U2713H
B&W MM-1

For the moment it works, blazingly fast and silent. Ethernet super fast and USB3 seem fine. BUT: my i1Display Pro display calibrator isn't working yet: system sees it "IOUSBHIDDriver device connected" but the i1Profiler doesn't see it even though plugged. What did I miss? Here are my settings after Multibeast:

Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.9.0 TRIM PatchDrivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 Plugins
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v5.3.820 HWMonitor ApplicationDrivers > Misc > USB 3.0 - Universal by Zenith432
Drivers > Network > Intel - hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14Drivers > System > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS ResetBootloaders > Chimera v2.2.1
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Generate CPU StatesCustomize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - DesktopCustomize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display ModeCustomize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1Customize > Themes > Chameleon 2.2 Default

Discarded IGP and internal sound since I have discrete GPU & USB speakers. Any hint is welcome!

I noticed you built your machine for Photoshop and Lightroom and I'm thinking of doing the same thing. In your opinion, is your hackintosh significantly faster in Lightroom? I'm shooting with a D800 and my wedding galleries are enormous. I'd love to get some feedback to see if it's really worth it to sell my 2011 iMac and build a hackintosh, thanks!

Hi. I can tell you two things: the best thing I ever did vs. my original 2010 iMac (quad i5 2.8 GHz) was to tear it down and insert an SSD. That really saved me so much with LR + PS jobs (batch process, 1:1 previews generation, panoramas...). For one year, but could have last much longer if Hackintosh hadn't come to my door.

Now my Hackintosh is almost set (sorry, I'm on holiday and still haven't solved an USB issue, will come back to that later). What I see: +30% speed increase over my iMac over 1:1 previews compute. That ain't as much as I was hoping for, but coming back from shooting sessions it means 3.5 minutes instead of 5 minutes: i take these, they are actual gains. Not theorotical.

Now, more and more, I keep asking me: why not switch completely to Windows? I've been Mac exclusive since 2005 but honestly, the recent inactivity and b***it cooked again and again by Apple makes me uneasy.

Anyway: think SSD before thinking Hackintosh, but then Hackintosh is good performance at a great discount: nothing we should look down at, especially today.

My iMac, has an SSD, it's the Apple brand, runs about 230mb/s. I could get a faster one.

But yeah, building a customac is a lot to take on for someone running a business full time. Best just wait for a new iMac. I really appreciate the input!

My iMac, has an SSD, it's the Apple brand, runs about 230mb/s. I could get a faster one.

But yeah, building a customac is a lot to take on for someone running a business full time. Best just wait for a new iMac. I really appreciate the input!

No problem. It's also a lot of fun, don't discard this. But, again, maybe windows has something new to offer for workstations.

In order to avoid confusion as former settings made USB3 ports unstable: these are the BIOS settings that are used in my case:

• Vt-d set to Disabled
  • Xhci Mode set to Auto
  • Xhci Hand off set to Enabled
  • Ehci Hand off set to Enabled
  • IGP set to Disabled
No internal graphics and USB3 will work right out of the box without needing the Zenith432 USB3 universal driver from Multibeast:
Screen Shot 2014-01-05 at 12.09.49.png

I've the same setup as you have but do not reach USB3.0 speeds.
Using Blackmagic Disk Speed Test I got 10MB/s for writing and 40MB/s for reading.

Have you checked your USB3.0 speeds?
I might have done a mistake in setting these Zenith USB3.0 option in Multibeast. But I have deselected it after I have seen your Multibeast configuration and have run it again. Do you know if this has to be "undone" somehow differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back