Contribute
Register

[HALF-SUCCESS] iTunes 12.7 constantly crashing (random messages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I just installed High Sierra (10.13.2) and noticed that iTunes crashes as soon as I start it..sometimes after 2-3 seconds, sometimes after a song starts. I didn't try a movie or other video contents, just audio.
I tried to roll-back to iTunes 10.6 but it's the same.
I don't have dedicated GPU, but only Intel HD520. Also, I'm using Lilu, but not Shiki.
do you think I have the same problem of the one you're talking about here, or a different one?
thanks

Did you fixed it?

I'm having the same problem.

iTunes 12.7.3
High Sierra 10.13.3

I'm still using 12.7.3 at the moment.

Here are links to previous versions of iTunes if you want to try those:

https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/i...20-71C8-4326-9AE8-F56B9F1DF169/iTunes12.7.dmg

https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/i...-B9B4-11E7-801E-B6B3F267B372/iTunes12.7.1.dmg

https://secure-appldnld.apple.com/i...-DABD-11E7-AB98-5E9461E0607F/iTunes12.7.2.dmg

1) I rolled back to iTunes 12.6. Still, iTunes kept crashing a few seconds after starting.

2) I thought it was because I was overclocking my memory (3000 instead of 2666). Going back to 2666 helped for a short time. But then, iTunes kept crashing a few seconds after starting up.

3) I repaired the disks with Disk Utility. Also here, iTunes stopped crashing for a while, but the crashes kept coming back.

4) After some digging on other forums, I came across this article: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8092235

Maybe this is important to note: I have a startup disk with just the system and the applications (System), and a separate disk (Data) with my documents and media. And the complete iTunes Library is on "Data", I changed the link to the library in the prefs of iTunes. Now, just delete the iTunes folder on the "System" in the User folder on your Startup Disk
( User/Music/iTunes )

iTunes hasn't crashed since. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Ok, I have the following configuration:

- ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac
- i7 7700K
- MSI Radeon RX 560 Aero 4G
- MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3
- iTunes 12.7.2 (and I tried 12.7.3)

I have turned on HVEC, Hardware Encoding Support

I have installed Shiki.kext (2.2.4) (Download here)

If I set the Custom Flag in Clover to shikigva=4, I get a crash in iTunes
(which should be the correct flag for AMD Users, but, well..., it crashes)

If I set the Custom Flag in Clover to shikigva=1, iTunes works fine
(which should be the correct flag for Intel iGPU)

Hmm .. after a couple of crashes of iTunes, installing latest shiki, trying different skikigva , I think I have my iTunes stable now.

So I'm still using Shiki 2.2.4 and shikigva=1 and checked out -disablefxfirmware (somehow it was checked).

Running High Sierra on HSF+

I can confirm that with setup as in post above, iTunes is stable. You don't even need any shikigva flag into boot options.

Headless iGPU setup, i5 8600K, AMD RX 560 GPU, latest iTunes, macOS 10.13.3. I really found out less options you use, less problems you have.

I can confirm that with setup as in post above, iTunes is stable. You don't even need any shikigva flag into boot options.

Headless iGPU setup, i5 8600K, AMD RX 560 GPU, latest iTunes, macOS 10.13.3. I really found out less options you use, less problems you have.

yeah .. I spoke to soon .. My itunes keeps crashing. Even without shikigva boot flag. Still have to investigate further, but for now it's no prio.

interesting, probably depends on whole HW too. Last time during my ammo reloading session I had iTunes playing music for 3 hours and nothing, no crash. Previously it crashed few seconds after launch. Now it’s still running in the background (no playback) and keeps working

Yes result... I have hardware acceleration by modifying the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleGVA.framework/info.plist
You mean
<key>forceOfflineRenderer</key>
<false/>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back