Contribute
Register

[HALF-SUCCESS] iTunes 12.7 constantly crashing (random messages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm experiencing the same problems with iTunes, but I don't have Lilu or Shiki running on my system. I'm using an Asus VivoMini UN62 with the following internals: Intel Core i5-4210U (Haswell) running at 2.4Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600, Intel HD Graphics 4400. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.1 with iTunes 12.6.3.6; I originally thought it might be an iTunes 12.7 thing, so I removed that and installed 12.6.3.6 (the version Apple released after 12.7 that includes the App Store), but I'm still getting crashes every few seconds. I can also confirm this isn't a storage location issue either: I've tried putting my iTunes library in the internal storage, on a USB hard drive, and on NAS, and it always constantly crashes.

I'm experiencing the same problems with iTunes, but I don't have Lilu or Shiki running on my system. I'm using an Asus VivoMini UN62 with the following internals: Intel Core i5-4210U (Haswell) running at 2.4Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600, Intel HD Graphics 4400. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.1 with iTunes 12.6.3.6; I originally thought it might be an iTunes 12.7 thing, so I removed that and installed 12.6.3.6 (the version Apple released after 12.7 that includes the App Store), but I'm still getting crashes every few seconds. I can also confirm this isn't a storage location issue either: I've tried putting my iTunes library in the internal storage, on a USB hard drive, and on NAS, and it always constantly crashes.

The root cause of the iTunes crashing aren't Shiki (or Lilu), is the compatibility among the AppleVDA framework and the hardware. Take a look to this following post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/itunes-protected-video-black-screen-solution-hdcp.195083/, there describes how to install Shiki.

Regards.

You cannot compare a Genuine Apple Mac to a Hackintosh with HD4600.
Genuine Macs dont have HD 4600.

I do not use HD4600 for multimedia.
HD 4600 is used in my server nothing else.

I am confused.

I have got an genuine iMac 14,2. This type had a i7-4771 CPU. I looked up this model in ark.intel.com. The grahics of the cpu is HD4600.
I compared the ioreg output of my hackintosh and the genuine iMac 14,2. The device-id of IGPU is the same. I changed the ig-platform-id to the same as that on the iMac. But it seems nothing related between ig-platform-id and the IntelAccelerator. The IMEI device of my hackintosh isthe same as the iMac.

Why is it stable on the genuine iMac? Did Apple use an special version if i7-4771? Or we just missed some other ID to inject?

The root cause of the iTunes crashing aren't Shiki (or Lilu), is the compatibility among the AppleVDA framework and the hardware. Take a look to this following post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/itunes-protected-video-black-screen-solution-hdcp.195083/, there describes how to install Shiki.

Regards.

Actually that's what has been confusing me: I only have music ripped from my own CDs in my iTunes library (so nothing with DRM, and no videos), so from what I've read and understood, I shouldn't have any need to install Shiki in the first place?

Actually that's what has been confusing me: I only have music ripped from my own CDs in my iTunes library (so nothing with DRM, and no videos), so from what I've read and understood, I shouldn't have any need to install Shiki in the first place?

On that case, is correct, you don't need Shiki, but iTunes always try validate the DRM content and probably this process (even for your own ripped content) uses the VDA framework, causing the crashing.

I don't see which is your setup (mobo, cpu, igpu+egpu or only igpu) but if you're using igpu+egpu, try to disable completely the iGPU from the BIOS, that could help you.

On that case, is correct, you don't need Shiki, but iTunes always try validate the DRM content and probably this process (even for your own ripped content) uses the VDA framework, causing the crashing.

I don't see which is your setup (mobo, cpu, igpu+egpu or only igpu) but if you're using igpu+egpu, try to disable completely the iGPU from the BIOS, that could help you.

Sorry about that when I listed my specs, I'm using an Asus mini-computer that doesn't have any place for a separate graphics card, so I can only use the built-in Intel HD Graphics 4400. In any case, I'll try the Shiki method and report back.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work, I've installed the Shiki kext and added the boot argument, rebooted, and iTunes still crashes every few seconds.

Last edited:
Sorry about that when I listed my specs, I'm using an Asus mini-computer that doesn't have any place for a separate graphics card, so I can only use the built-in Intel HD Graphics 4400. In any case, I'll try the Shiki method and report back.

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work, I've installed the Shiki kext and added the boot argument, rebooted, and iTunes still crashes every few seconds.
You are using the latest Shiki and Lilu kexts together? You may need intelgraphicsfixup or Nvidiagrapicsfixup kexts as well I believe?

I can also confirm that Shiki 2.1.1 + Lilu 2.1.1 + shikivga=16 still doesn't fix iTunes 2.7.1 crashing on Intel HD 4400.

I can also confirm that Shiki 2.1.1 + Lilu 2.1.1 + shikivga=16 still doesn't fix iTunes 2.7.1 crashing on Intel HD 4400.

Try it out with the argument 'shikigva=1'.
Also, review your clover config, or try also changing the sysdef.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back