Contribute
Register

[HALF-SUCCESS] iTunes 12.7 constantly crashing (random messages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried several times, open, reopen, select track, search, minimize etc. It seems OK now.
Good to hear that. Hopefully this has been permanently fixed for you.

Well guys - that's it for me, I reverted back to Sierra 10.12.6 with the exact same settings, kexts etc. I had with High Sierra (besides apfs.efi of course).
And surprise surprise - I am back with a fully working QuickSync, iTunes and playable DRM movies.

Maybe I'll give High Sierra another shot - when its at 10.13.6 :D
cheers

Well guys - that's it for me, I reverted back to Sierra 10.12.6 with the exact same settings, kexts etc. I had with High Sierra (besides apfs.efi of course).
And surprise surprise - I am back with a fully working QuickSync, iTunes and playable DRM movies.

Maybe I'll give High Sierra another shot - when its at 10.13.6 :D
cheers
I understand. Hopefully, the next macOS/iTunes update will fix this for us, and you'll be back in High Sierra land. BTW, have you tried other music players? I've installed VOX, if I decide that I'm done with iTunes.

This is it. I got so fed up with this show, I've now sent 3-4 crash reports to Apple. I hope I don't get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
@elmacci Did you just run the 12.6 installer to downgrade, or did you delete the original app and then run the 12.6 installer?

@elmacci Did you just run the 12.6 installer to downgrade, or did you delete the original app and then run the 12.6 installer?

I did a full downgrade, i.e. erasing the ssd, installing macOS High Sierra from Bootstick and NOT updating itunes through the Appstore (maOS High Sierra Release Version still came with itunes 12.6).

Same issues as with 12.7.

I did a full downgrade, i.e. erasing the ssd, installing macOS High Sierra from Bootstick and NOT updating itunes through the Appstore (maOS High Sierra Release Version still came with itunes 12.6).

Same issues as with 12.7.
One more question. When you open the finder, and navigate to your music library, can you see the album artwork as the music file icon? Because I can't.

@elmacci, Also, can you please describe your crashes. I'm getting the impression that your crashes were triggered when you saw iTunes video content and not otherwise...

One more question. When you open the finder, and navigate to your music library, can you see the album artwork as the music file icon? Because I can't.

Interesting. Now that you mention it, I remember working with Music Files on High Sierra in Finder and wondering why there are no artwork icons (knowing that I just added them). Also, when opening a mp3 with quicklook (pressing spacebar), no artwork was displayed. When adding the mp3 to my mp3-tag-editor, the artwork was displayed. Also when adding to itunes.

I did not care much about it at that time and thought it was just a "hiccup".

After installing Sierra 10.12.6. again, the Album Artwork of the same MP3 Files is shown as icons in Finder.

@elmacci, Also, can you please describe your crashes. I'm getting the impression that your crashes were triggered when you saw iTunes video content and not otherwise...

You got the right impression. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that i could keep itunes running for hours if i let it play music. It definetely crashed when i tried to play a bought video. however, it did also crash when just going through the menus/settings or syncing my iphone. When i let music play in the background, i was able to sync my iphone.

Pretty sure it has something to dobwith drm and/or the underlying decoder framework.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back