Contribute
Register

[HALF-SUCCESS] iTunes 12.7 constantly crashing (random messages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you’re saying, and I know it’s opposite to your findings. I don’t have inject intel ticked, but I’ve followed your other patches and I have NO ITunes crashes yet. Might happen tomorrow, might happen next month, might never happen, but this is my experience (opposite of yours).

I had crashes at first WITHOUT quick sync enabled.

Ok, that is indeed interesting: You say you had iTunes crashing without "inject Intel" and IGPU disabled in BIOS?
It's hard to tell why the mentioned ACPI fixes helped without a detailed error reporting and IOREG save file.

Not shure if your problems are related to the discussed issue in this thread.

But glad iTunes works for you now.

So you are saying that with your system:
- igpu is enabled
- patches in clover for change gfx0 to igpu, heci to imei, mei to imei are enabled
- lilu kext and shiki kext are loaded (in efi/clover/kext/other)
- intel inject is enabled in clover with platform id 19120001
- shikigva=1 is NOT used in boot arguments in clover
- quicksync is enabled? (check via macx video converter or if airplay is stuttering)

and you have no itunes crashes when opening a movie or itunes in general?

Yes, however,

Update:

Crashing has resumed after a few hours (next day use). Ive disabled QuickSync for now.

Well, sounded too good to be true. So we are playing the waiting game until Lilu/Shiki adress this.
Thanks for the update anyway.

HD510/530/610/630 + Nvidia GPU + shikigva=1, result is IQSV partially work, HW video encoder work but VDADecoder not work. It will not help for iTune and Safari issue. Try disable PCIE ASPM from BIOS may help, but power consumption may be very high.

HD510/530/610/630 + AMD GPU + shikigva=2, IQSV fully work. It should be helpful, if AMD HW video decoder have problem with iTune or Safari, or AMD GPU that without HW video acceleration, like HD5570, HD6450.

Hi @shuhung
Thank you for your contribution to this thread/issue.

Where do you take these insights from?
Especially regarding the combination of HD510/530/610/630 + Nvidia GPU + shikigva=1?
To be more precise:
- How do you know that QuickSync partially works? Using shikigva=1, when I activate Airplay to my AppleTV, the video signal is stuttering as if QuickSync is disabled. When I enable QuickSync by omitting shikigva=1, Airplay works flawless but itunes crashes.
- You state that the combination of IGPU, NVDIA and shikigva=1 does NOT help with the itunes issue. How so? Booting with shikigva=1 leads to a perfectly working itunes on my machine (but quicksync disabled).
Rebooting again without shikigva=1 and the crashes in itunes are back.

Additionally, as I wrote earlier, QuickSync AND iTunes do work perfectly when I delete lilu.kext and the other kexts relying on lilu.kext. So either Lilu.kext under Sierra is flawed, or some routine lilu.kext invokes (regarding VDADecoder) renders itunes unusable.

So basically: @vit9696 's Lilu.kext in combination with Quicksync leads to a crashing itunes.
At least thats what I and some others are experiencing.

Hi @shuhung
Thank you for your contribution to this thread/issue.

Where do you take these insights from?
Especially regarding the combination of HD510/530/610/630 + Nvidia GPU + shikigva=1?
To be more precise:
- How do you know that QuickSync partially works? Using shikigva=1, when I activate Airplay to my AppleTV, the video signal is stuttering as if QuickSync is disabled. When I enable QuickSync by omitting shikigva=1, Airplay works flawless but itunes crashes.
- You state that the combination of IGPU, NVDIA and shikigva=1 does NOT help with the itunes issue. How so? Booting with shikigva=1 leads to a perfectly working itunes on my machine (but quicksync disabled).
Rebooting again without shikigva=1 and the crashes in itunes are back.

Additionally, as I wrote earlier, QuickSync AND iTunes do work perfectly when I delete lilu.kext and the other kexts relying on lilu.kext. So either Lilu.kext under Sierra is flawed, or some routine lilu.kext invokes (regarding VDADecoder) renders itunes unusable.

So basically: @vit9696 's Lilu.kext in combination with Quicksync leads to a crashing itunes.
At least thats what I and some others are experiencing.

This iTunes crashing may not be attributed to Lilu as I have experienced such crashing without Lilu. I have had two fresh installs, one with only an internal gpu (Intel HD P4600 faked as 4600) and another with Nvidia GT 1030 + Intel P4600. iTunes crashes on both installs. (I havene't injected either Intel or Nvidia in Clover). Also this may have nothing to do with APFS because my hackintosh has only two HFS+ hard disks.

FYI. I have a MacBook Air (GPU: Intel HD 5000; APFS) and a Mac mini (GPU: Intel HD 4000; HFS+). iTunes on these two machines never crashes.

How do you know that QuickSync partially works

Just check it with VDADecoderChecker, also see below link for detail.
https://www.applelife.ru/threads/zavod-intel-quick-sync-video.817923/

NVDIA and shikigva=1 does NOT help with the itunes issue

I means randomly kernel panic in iTune, shikigva=1 is use for force IQSV, also help iTune video playback but can not prevent randomly kernel panic or reboot.

For example, I have kernel panic (iTune and Safari) with HD6450 and HD5570 (only with ASUS B150 Pro Gaming 3) from High Sierra beta 1, may be caused by AGPM and need disable PCIE ASPM then problem solved, in 10.13.0 17A365 it work fine with PCIE ASPM enable (HD610 + HD5570 + shikigva=2).

May be you are right, but only in your condition.

Others, may not, like me low end user, Pentium + HD610 + HD5570, highly depended on lilu + shiki, very useful for iTune and Safari, especially H265 video playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back