Contribute
Register

[HALF-SUCCESS] iTunes 12.7 constantly crashing (random messages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, we have here a good discovery :p - Shiki is the responsible of iTunes crashes.
Apparently, and according the Shiki code, the hack consist on disable or enable some features through the darwin's kernel (seem). I'm going to create an issue and see how I can help to fix this one.

At this moment, the best workaround is to use the bootflag 'shikiva=1' and if have any needs to use quicksync, just restart without the flag.

I dont think it is related to shiki. Remove it from your kext folder and itunes will still keep crashing.

shiki with shikivga=1 has the same function as unchecking intel inject in clover.

So, shiki is more of a solution for the ones out here without a dedicated gpu who rely on the intel inject.

same here, but I fixed when I stop inject intel.

I dont think it is related to shiki. Remove it from your kext folder and itunes will still keep crashing.

shiki with shikivga=1 has the same function as unchecking intel inject in clover.

So, shiki is more of a solution for the ones out here without a dedicated gpu who rely on the intel inject.

Make sense also, but according the Shiki's code, using the flag, some kernel's features (through LiLu) doesn't deactivated. Doesn't explain why removing the intel-injection works as well.

I've a low knowledge of how build kernel extensions, but as far a see on the code, Shiki uses Lilu to patch some things, and the information that Shiki is sending to Lilu regarding the Acceleration Renderer (the variable is named: leaveForceAccelRenderer) may be wrong (the current value is 4) for high sierra. I don't know, just thoughts.

To add to this thread...I don't have shiky and have the iTunes crash too, the only thing I have is inject intel, because I don't have a dedicated graphics card...

Good one! Thanks @MorenoAv. I'll add this info to the Shiki thread.

Question: are you using Lilu.kext?

Ok, I think I got a little closer to finding the issue - seems to be Lilu.kext and/or related plugins for lilu.

Injecting Intel with a connectorless id and thus enabling quicksync works, but seems to break iTunes, especially when opening a downloaded movie.

I deleted one kext after another in my EFI/CLOVER/KEXT/OTHER Folder - and when I finally deleted Lilu and all Lilu-related kexts I did not have any iTunes crashes anymore - and working quicksync (thus injecting Intel connectorless).

Mind you, I have a SMBIOS 17,1 so I had to exchange the nvidiagraphicsfixup with the applegraphicsdevicepolicy kexttopatch by piker to be able to completely remove lilu and still have a bootable machine.

hi @aol:

With Sierra, i had successfully enabled QuickSync (MacX Video Converter said "Yes", and Airplay to my AppleTV was "stutterless").

I managed to to this by going through the following steps/settings:
- In Bios under IGPU (or similar) set IGPU to enabled, PreAllocated Memory to at least 64 MB, Memory to MAX. You may have to go to the BIOS a second time to set the memory after you enabled IGPU.
- In Bios, set Init Display First to PEG (your dedicated Graphics Card, i presume its the 1060 in your profile)
- In Clover, add/set the following:
a) Under ACPI add the following patches: Change GFX0 to IGPU, Change HECI to IMEI, Change MEI to IMEI
b) Under Graphics, enable "Inject Intel" and insert "19120001" as platform-ig (ther is a dropdown to to that, it should say imac 17,1).

Restart - you should now have QuickSync enabled. Faster Decoding and flawless Airplay.

The problem i have now with itunes that its either Quicksync enabled and itunes crashes, or quicksync disabled and itunes does not crash. Both does not work anymore.
Hey that allows me to click the "Intel" hardware box now, and hardware encoding is enabled! Thanks!

Ok, I think I got a little closer to finding the issue - seems to be Lilu.kext and/or related plugins for lilu.

Injecting Intel with a connectorless id and thus enabling quicksync works, but seems to break iTunes, especially when opening a downloaded movie.

I deleted one kext after another in my EFI/CLOVER/KEXT/OTHER Folder - and when I finally deleted Lilu and all Lilu-related kexts I did not have any iTunes crashes anymore - and working quicksync (thus injecting Intel connectorless).

Mind you, I have a SMBIOS 17,1 so I had to exchange the nvidiagraphicsfixup with the applegraphicsdevicepolicy kexttopatch by piker to be able to completely remove lilu and still have a bootable machine.

Thanks for the update @elmacci, without Lilu (and without Shiki) quick sync goes well, but you cannot play any drm content (besides the blackscreen issue, fixed modifying the info.plist from applegraphicspolicy.kext)?

[UPDATE 1]
I've tried to use this bootarg: -liluslow (to enable legacy user patcher) and now looks that iTunes works fine, also quick_sync, but some DRM content isn't playing well on iTunes (trailers ok, videos ok, bought movies no).

[UPDATE 2]
The better option is the use of 'shikigva=1' boot arg, until a new version or fix to Lilu being released.

Last edited:
Following elmacci's recommendations for ACPI patches, Ive yet to have iTunes crash. Ive been reloading it, quitting, reloading and quitting, and I've yet to get the crash report!

Ill pay attention to it a bit more to see if its just a phase or it really did solve my issues.
I also have the latest Lilu, Shiki, NVWebDriverLibValFix.kext, and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

@Wolfie81 : Just to be sure that there is no misunderstanding: The ACPI patches I recommended are fore enabling quicksync, which leads to iTunes crashes under high Sierra (worked flawless under Sierra).

So, if you want to have iTunes working under High Sierra you'd have to either disable quicksync or uncheck "Inject Intel" in Clover. If you can't disable "Inject Intel" because you don't have a dedicated gpu, you either have to use lilu + shiki with shikigva=1 as boot argument OR remove lilu + shiki from your kext folder (Alternatively, @familygw already figured out that you can use lilu with -liluslow, that seems to work also but not very reliable).

So, in your case I would recommend to enable quicksync, add "shikigva=1" to clover in the boot section and wait till lilu and shiki have been fixed.
Till then you can use iTunes with these settings, but quicksync will be disabled (so possibly slower decoding and stuttering airplay).

I understand what you’re saying, and I know it’s opposite to your findings. I don’t have inject intel ticked, but I’ve followed your other patches and I have NO ITunes crashes yet. Might happen tomorrow, might happen next month, might never happen, but this is my experience (opposite of yours).

I had crashes at first WITHOUT quick sync enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back