Contribute
Register

Had it working then screwed it up, can I still save it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok my install went fine to a degree, it was booting and working but I had a couple of issues.
1 During boot I would get an error unable to find SMBIOS but it would continue and boot to an OSX desktop.
2 Sleep would not function right, it would turn my monitor off and fans would spin down but it would not shut off and would require a hard reset.

So I got to messing around, read somewhere on here that I did not need NullCPUPowerManagement so I removed it to the desktop and rebooted. Got some error about power saying to press the power button. So I put it back and could no longer boot. But I can boot with the boot disk in so can I fix this or should I wipe it clean and try again.

appraisalguy said:
Ok my install went fine to a degree, it was booting and working but I had a couple of issues.
1 During boot I would get an error unable to find SMBIOS but it would continue and boot to an OSX desktop.
2 Sleep would not function right, it would turn my monitor off and fans would spin down but it would not shut off and would require a hard reset.

So I got to messing around, read somewhere on here that I did not need NullCPUPowerManagement so I removed it to the desktop and rebooted. Got some error about power saying to press the power button. So I put it back and could no longer boot. But I can boot with the boot disk in so can I fix this or should I wipe it clean and try again.

Download the latest iBoot, use that to boot into your install- then replace the kext. You'll need an edited DSDT with proper edits to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.

Not sure where to find iBoot, found an app to edit the file and will try my hand at that once I find iBoot and learn how to use it.

appraisalguy said:
Not sure where to find iBoot, found an app to edit the file and will try my hand at that once I find iBoot and learn how to use it.

You won't need any DSDT for this- and you'll be able to get fully running using MultiBeast afterwards. Here you go-
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=401

Read through it, and proceed. Here's the direct link to iBoot-
Public/tonymacx86-iBoot.iso.zip

:mrgreen:

Thanks for the help and everything else you do for this project, great site.

Still at this, and still not booting right. Booted using the iBoot disk ran Beast 10.6 + Disk Utilities, repaired permissions, no luck. Did the same but ran 10.6.2 with the same results. Next try I booted with iBoot, moved the extra folder to the desktop and ran Beast 10.6.2 creating a new extra folder, then replaced the dsdt ga ud3r-f6 with a different dsdt (same one different download), repairing permissions after each attempt. Boots without the error "unable to find smbios" so thats a plus but after I get to the grey apple screen and little spinning icon the pc shuts down.
I don't know if this is of importance but when I repair permissions I get a warning that ARDAgent.App has been modified and will not be repaired.
Also trying to make these changes after I had updated using the 10.6.2 updater, is that possible? Frustrating as it boots and seems to run fine (except sleep which I will tackle latter) with a boot disk. Is it time to start over?

appraisalguy said:
Still at this, and still not booting right. Booted using the iBoot disk ran Beast 10.6 + Disk Utilities, repaired permissions, no luck. Did the same but ran 10.6.2 with the same results. Next try I booted with iBoot, moved the extra folder to the desktop and ran Beast 10.6.2 creating a new extra folder, then replaced the dsdt ga ud3r-f6 with a different dsdt (same one different download), repairing permissions after each attempt. Boots without the error "unable to find smbios" so thats a plus but after I get to the grey apple screen and little spinning icon the pc shuts down.
I don't know if this is of importance but when I repair permissions I get a warning that ARDAgent.App has been modified and will not be repaired.
Also trying to make these changes after I had updated using the 10.6.2 updater, is that possible? Frustrating as it boots and seems to run fine (except sleep which I will tackle latter) with a boot disk. Is it time to start over?

Wow- at it for 24 hours straight! :eek:

I've been there. The permissions thing is common- don't worry about it. Post the contents of your /Extra folder in a zip.

If you're able to boot from the disk then it's probably just a problem with what's in your /extra folder and/or chameleon installation, both of which are normally not too hard to figure out.

I can't believe how fast OSX boots compared to 7. I had to figure out how to make a zip file, how easy is that. Thanks for taking a look at the file.

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
appraisalguy said:
I can't believe how fast OSX boots compared to 7. I had to figure out how to make a zip file, how easy is that. Thanks for taking a look at the file.

Yeah- isn't it great! You can set 7-zip or any archive program in Windows to do it to- but having it at the OS level is just nice. Right click and compress.

Do you use PS2 keyboard/mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back