Contribute
Register

"HackinWorth" Skylake Value Rig - El Capitan/i5-6500/GA-H170-Gaming 3/GTX 970/16GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, have almost exact same setup except CPU and Graphic card. By now not yet done the ssdt step and have some strage issue like described with sound, but it does not disappear on sleep. It disappears eventually and can be brought back by going to sleep and back. My cpu is i5 6400K, was interested if this bug is possible due to not having ssdt for the clover, previously failed doing one and just thought i'll do it later. Also wanted to say thank you man, this thread saved me some time.

Hi igormuzyka, glad this thread was helpful for you. I don't think the SSDT will fix the sleep issue and the difference in CPU should not matter either. I battled and fixed the sound issues before I created the SSDT. I first used the audio_cloverALC script to get sound working (I use the audio out jack on the MB, not HDMI sound). Then I used the CodecCommander.kext mentioned to fix the sound after sleep. Are you using the AppleHDA for sound or did you install Voodoo sound?

Do you have an Nvidia GPU? If yes, I wouldn't think that would be it either. I know AMD cards have some issues with sleep. Hope this helps.

Have gtx 950 nvidia based graphics which is nicely working except hdmi audio which i think i will fix soon as it seems simple.
I used the steps provided by you for the audio with one difference that speakers are plugged into body top port(the one on the motherboard which goes to the same place where power and reset buttons are) which is not the same as the audio ports on the back. Will try to fix hdmi audio and check how audio card behaves when plugged into different ports.

Have gtx 950 nvidia based graphics which is nicely working except hdmi audio which i think i will fix soon as it seems simple.
I used the steps provided by you for the audio with one difference that speakers are plugged into body top port(the one on the motherboard which goes to the same place where power and reset buttons are) which is not the same as the audio ports on the back. Will try to fix hdmi audio and check how audio card behaves when plugged into different ports.

Cool, good luck. I haven't needed/tried the HDMI audio yet, but it would be nice to enable for completeness. Let me know what method you use and how/if affects the motherboard audio ports. FWIW, my headphones work fine when I plug them into the front jack as well.

Hi mots. I've just did my first Hackintosh using your guide. I've chosen it cause of the very similar rig setup, and we have the same motherboard. So...erm... thanks for writing this, really :)
I actually have a problem with the front jack for headphones. It doesn't work. Did all the jack work for you immediately when you enabled audio? I was just thinking if you might have some suggestions...
Rest of the back panel jacks work and the whole system is totally stable for now.

Cheers

Hi mots. I've just did my first Hackintosh using your guide. I've chosen it cause of the very similar rig setup, and we have the same motherboard. So...erm... thanks for writing this, really :)
I actually have a problem with the front jack for headphones. It doesn't work. Did all the jack work for you immediately when you enabled audio? I was just thinking if you might have some suggestions...
Rest of the back panel jacks work and the whole system is totally stable for now.

Cheers
Hey, no problem. I am glad folks are finding this useful! Yes, the audio jack on the front of my case worked without any further configuration or hacks. If I plug into the jack, it automatically switches to the headphones like it should (and then back when I disconnect). Have you double checked your audio wires that go from the case to the motherboard?

Hey, no problem. I am glad folks are finding this useful! Yes, the audio jack on the front of my case worked without any further configuration or hacks. If I plug into the jack, it automatically switches to the headphones like it should (and then back when I disconnect). Have you double checked your audio wires that go from the case to the motherboard?

hi. thanks for the reply. I just went fiddling with it after you posted the reply and made it work. For some reason I had to go into the sound settings while my headphones were plugged in and choose the output to be a headphone jack. now the OS switches it like it's supposed to - before it didn't. dunno why. ah well.. it works now :) everything works actually. this is fantastic :)
Hope you share future updates with us here.
Thanks.
Cheers!

I had to download and run the VoodooHDA 2.8 to get the audio working, but everything else seemed to work once I got my footing. I had many issues and reinstalled the OS about a half dozen times. Particularly the Nvidia drivers were super fussy. I had to install the nvidia 10.11.4 earlier build 15E not the 15E65 which cause it to stop booting. Don't upgrade your Nvidia driver untill you install the osx 10.11.6 update, but in order to get the nvidia to install you have to start with the 10.11.4 15E version before you upgrade your osx. The Aetheros worked as written. But install the VoodooHDA drivers first before anything else. For some reason if you do it later in the process it will give you an error. So basically this was my timeline. Install osx 10.11.4, use basic Multibeast install, no audio, set to imac 14,1. reboot, then install voodoHDA from a downloaded voodoo installer (google it you should find it, I downloaded it on another system) Then install aetheros as in the original posting, the link didn't give me the actual kext, but tonymac has it on this site. Then run the 15E build of nvida. Reboot. Use clover configurator or edit your config.plist to include the nvda_drv=1. Reboot. Then if that still boots, DO NOT upgrade Nvidia yet. This is where it consistently killed my machine, but go ahead and upgrade 10.11.4 to 10.11.6 and do the other upgrades, you might get an error message stating that the nvidia needs to upgrade. Once you have 10.11.6 let nvidia find and update it's driver. Not sure why my experience was so different, but hey I guess that's Hackintosh's for ya.

Last edited:
I had to download and run the VoodooHDA 2.8 to get the audio working, but everything else seemed to work once I got my footing. I had many issues and reinstalled the OS about a half dozen times. Particularly the Nvidia drivers were super fussy. I had to install the nvidia 10.11.4 earlier build 15E not the 15E65 which cause it to stop booting. Don't upgrade your Nvidia driver untill you install the osx 10.11.6 update, but in order to get the nvidia to install you have to start with the 10.11.4 15E version before you upgrade your osx. The Aetheros worked as written. But install the VoodooHDA drivers first before anything else. For some reason if you do it later in the process it will give you an error. So basically this was my timeline. Install osx 10.11.4, use basic Multibeast install, no audio, set to imac 14,1. reboot, then install voodoHDA from a downloaded voodoo installer (google it you should find it, I downloaded it on another system) Then install aetheros as in the original posting, the link didn't give me the actual kext, but tonymac has it on this site. Then run the 15E build of nvida. Reboot. Use clover configurator or edit your config.plist to include the nvda_drv=1. Reboot. Then if that still boots, DO NOT upgrade Nvidia yet. This is where it consistently killed my machine, but go ahead and upgrade 10.11.4 to 10.11.6 and do the other upgrades, you might get an error message stating that the nvidia needs to upgrade. Once you have 10.11.6 let nvidia find and update it's driver. Not sure why my experience was so different, but hey I guess that's Hackintosh's for ya.

Thanks for stopping by and your post. Is your hardware exactly the same as what I listed in the OP? I started at 10.11.5 with the USB installer and then upgraded to 10.11.6, so that is the difference with the Nvidia versions. The Nvidia driver version is always specific to the OSX version you are running. Another Nvidia driver update will be required when the latest 10.11.6 OSX security patches are installed (I am now at OSX build 15G1004 running 15F03 Nvidia). When I upgrade OSX, I always boot back into OSX with nvda_drv=0 (set in Clover upon boot), run the driver update under the Nvidia applet under "Settings", and then reboot.

The audio was definitely the trickiest part. I failed before I succeeded due to allowing Multibeast to overwrite my AppleHDA as noted in the OP. Voodoo should not be necessary, but is simpler to install and should still work. I wanted to stay native if I could as I think that yields the best results.

Thanks for stopping by and your post. Is your hardware exactly the same as what I listed in the OP? I started at 10.11.5 with the USB installer and then upgraded to 10.11.6, so that is the difference with the Nvidia versions. The Nvidia driver version is always specific to the OSX version you are running. Another Nvidia driver update will be required when the latest 10.11.6 OSX security patches are installed (I am now at OSX build 15G1004 running 15F03 Nvidia). When I upgrade OSX, I always boot back into OSX with nvda_drv=0 (set in Clover upon boot), run the driver update under the Nvidia applet under "Settings", and then reboot.

The audio was definitely the trickiest part. I failed before I succeeded due to allowing Multibeast to overwrite my AppleHDA as noted in the OP. Voodoo should not be necessary, but is simpler to install and should still work. I wanted to stay native if I could as I think that yields the best results.

I am so excited Mots, because i have ordered the exact same hardware as you have used for your hackinworth except RAM which in my case is kingston. It will be at my door step with in 4-5 days. I ll need your help in the next few evenings to setup my Hackintosh.

Great post!

I was looking at i7-6700 and since I don't want to overclock wanted to check whether someone did a build using H170 mobos instead of Z170.
Thanks for such an informative outline.

Have you updated to Sierra already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back