Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello

So I decided to update my video card and now it wont boot. I sold my two 6870's to upgrade to the gtx 770 and while I had my card on order I tried to boot my computer using on board graphics which I've done in the past with no problems. This time though it got to the apple logo and it just sat there for a very long time with the spinning thing. I figured once I put the new card in I would try it again. Same problem. Now I have tried starting it using -v and -x and other such things. But when I start it in -v to see where the problem occurred all i get is white screen. Nothing happens at all. So I don't know what to do from here since I'm not even sure the problem was from removing the graphics cards. Help would be appreciated.

System
G5 Core i7 2600k - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 - Gigabyte gtx770 - 16gb 1600hz
Running Lion

Im actually not sure what version of osx im running. But shouldn't I be able to boot using the integrated graphics?

Ok I booted into osx. I am running 10.7.5 and the reason I couldnt boot using integrated graphics was because i was using vga instead of the dvi. What would be the best method of updating to a version that is compatible with the gtx 770? should i go to ML or Mavericks? thanks for the help

Ok I booted into osx. I am running 10.7.5 and the reason I couldnt boot using integrated graphics was because i was using vga instead of the dvi. What would be the best method of updating to a version that is compatible with the gtx 770? should i go to ML or Mavericks? thanks for the help

It is simpler to go to the App Store and download Mavericks rather than trying to get Mountain Lion from Apple by paying for it and waiting 2-3 working days before you get an e-mail with a code that will allow you to download it.

There should be further new support available in Mavericks soon anyway for the 700 series range which is about to be expanded.

I would suggest trying a Mavericks installation using a different HDD/SSD or partition initially before you actually install over or on top of your Lion installation.

Adrian B

Ok so I updated to Maverick and the only things that don't seem to work are the two usb 3.0 ports on the back and i message and facetime and I dont use thouse. So not so bad. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back