Contribute
Register

Hackintosh with no GPU (at the moment...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I made some changes.
  • CPU cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H115i Platinum (seems to have a better support than H100i)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (seems to have better performances)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 510GB (the PRO version seems to have some issues)
What you do think?
Thanks!

Hi guys,

To keep you updated (in case it can help others):
It works!
No GPU, only using the iGPU of the i9 with a 4K monitor plugged in. It's usable even if the refresh rate seems a bit low.
Here is my final config:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • CPU: Intel i9 10850K
  • CPU cooling: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Platinium
  • RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB
  • SSD: 2x Sabrent Rocket NVMe 512GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM 850x
  • Wifi/Bluetooth card: MQUPIN Fenvi BCM94360CD
I plan to order a MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC to be able to plug my second 4K Monitor (since the motherboard only has a single video output port) since the RX 6800 XT is not yet supported.

Thanks!

No GPU, only using the iGPU of the i9 with a 4K monitor plugged in. It's usable even if the refresh rate seems a bit low.
Here is my final config:
If you are using HDMI it is only going to come in at 30hrz
I plan to order a MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC to be able to plug my second 4K Monitor (since the motherboard only has a single video output port) since the RX 6800 XT is not yet supported.

Thanks!
You can plug two 4k monitors into an RX580.

If you are using HDMI it is only going to come in at 30hrz
Oh ok, that's why it seems as little bit laggy.
You can plug two 4k monitors into an RX580.
Yea that's why I plan to order one, plus it's cheaper than a RX 6800 XT or even a RX 5700 XT.
But since yesterday, the RX580 is out of stock in a lot of resellers, so I'm waiting... :)

You can pick up a used one on eBay that would likely best your best bet currently!
Even on Ebay the prices of used RX 580s are hundreds of dollars over retail. Those selling them at retail usually have no feedback rating and don't ever send you the card you order. Sometimes they send an empty box and then the seller accuses the buyer of trying to scam them. Buyer beware is the best approach on Ebay.

Here's one example of a price too good to be true. Note the sellers (1) feedback. That was negative. At this price 5 of these would sell out in minutes yet they are all still available. The Ebayers can see that this is likely a scam to take advantage of inflated RX 580 prices. People that have gotten scammed before become wise to it. Gamers and crypto miners looking for a used RX 580 were not born yesterday. The 4GB cards no longer work for mining so everyone wants the 8GB versions now.

Screen_Shot_5.png

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Yea that's why I plan to order one
I would stay away from the majority of used RX 580s on Ebay. Older ex-mining rig cards are ones you probably don't want to spend 200-300 dollars on. They have no warranty, the Vbios may have been flashed etc. etc.

The average selling price for new RX 580s with 8GB of vram is about $350. $150 above normal retail. This is mostly because of the current cryptocurrency bubble right now. If you can't wait, then buy a new one. I would advise waiting 1-2 months more if possible.

Last edited:
It is simply a terrible period for buying any graphics card as of early 2021. Prices can skyrocket quickly but always fall down very slowly. I don’t think we will see decent prices throughout this year.

It is simply a terrible period for buying any graphics card as of early 2021. Prices can skyrocket quickly but always fall down very slowly. I don’t think we will see decent prices throughout this year.
Agreed. I think this price increase is going to stay for some time, even if the supply of the new cards (RTX 30x0 and RX 6x00) increase later.

At my local store, a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB was selling for the equivalent of US$180 just 2 weeks ago, but today the store is asking for the equivalent of US$240 for it.

Hi guys,

To keep you updated (in case it can help others):
It works!
Here is my final config:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
  • CPU: Intel i9 10850K
  • CPU cooling: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Platinium
  • RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB
  • SSD: 2x Sabrent Rocket NVMe 512GB
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM 850x
  • Wifi/Bluetooth card: MQUPIN Fenvi BCM94360CD

Thanks!
Hello....I'm using the same parts you are in your build.. I'm trying to install Catalina.. Question.1. How were you able to install Mac OS with no external GPU..?2. Do you mind sending me your EFI folder or let me know what your settings are?3. Which OS are you running?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back