CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Hey guys,

For a while i've been thinking about building a hackintosh with the specific purpose of OpenCL Rendering. I'm a moderately experienced pc builder, but i havn't done casemodding or actual custom loops before. The idea is to custom fit an old Powermac G5 case with the following components. I'd like to make a right panel with custom window. Colourscheme i'm looking for is aluminium; white with black accents. Ofcourse with the 10% fps increase of RGB goodies!

I'm basically looking for comments on my plan and/or suggestions the community would make; thanks!

My planning list:

CPU Intel Core i9-9900K

CPU BLOCK EKWB EK-Velocity RGB Nickel + Plexi

MOBO MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz 4 sticks

GPU ASUS RX 580 8G => have lying around to get started.

ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB OC

ASUS Radeon VII 16GB HBM2

(I'm not sure to go for and buy a watercooled rx64 now or wait till radeon VII is decent)

GPU BLOCK EK-FC Radeon Vega STRIX RGB Nickel

GPU BACKPLATE EK-FC Radeon Vega Strix Backplate Nickel

PSU Be Quiet Dark Pro 11 850W Platinum

STORAGE Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2

FANS EK-Vardar EVO 120 ER RGB x4; 2x Pull of PP config & 2 exhaust

EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black BB; Push of PP config

RADIATOR 240 EK Water Blocks Coolstream CE 280 (not sure if i'll do one or two rads)

PWM PUMP EK Water Blocks EK-XRES 140 D5 RGB PWM Pump x1

CABLE KIT Cablemod kit, custom black & white?

FITTINGS EK-HDC Fitting 16mm GI/4 Black x12

LIQUID EK CryoFuel Clear 1000ml

ACRYLIC TUBING EK-HD Tube 12/16mm 500mm (2pcs) x3

RANDOM ASUS Optical Bluray write BW-16D1HT/B

Filling Bottle 1000ml EK-ATX Bridging Plug (24pin)

EK-Cable-Y Splitter PWM x2

EK-HD Tube DIY Kit

EK-HD Tube Reamer

Front IO kabel to ATX

Thermal Paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

WAGNER Furno 300 Heatgun
Salvage PowerMac G5 Case + working components

Total cost seems to be around €3200.00

Tinkering around with vanilla hackintosh on my main rig now with Mojave seems to indicate not to get an Nvidia GPU (rip on my 1080ti :crazy:) and use Intel CPU's for accelerated rendering. Sidenote: a windows Bootcamp will be used after office hours for some gaming
:)
I currently have a 4K IPS LG screen with freesync for this pc. Another reason to wait for the Radeon VII perhaps? I'm not in a rush to do this anyway.

Thank you for any feedback/ suggestions.

Last edited:
I have it working.
MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
i9-9900K CPU
Thermaltake liquid cooler AIO
Overclocked to 4.9Ghz
32gb 4000hz Ram
Be Quiet Dark Base 700 case in white
1TB NVME M.2 for main drive
2TB SSD for dual boot Windows Drive

It's working beautifully.
It took a **** long time to get the damn installer to finally go through, but I have it running.
I started my build on Sunday. Last night I finally got the Nvidia drivers working.
LAN is working.

Wifi is not working
Audio is not working

Those are the last two things to get working.
Great system though. Killer results in cinebench so far.

If you'r a gluten for punishment, it's a great build. Not for the meek. It takes a lot of work to get it working.
[EDIT]
Got Audio working.!!! Woohoo!
Only thing left is wifi

Last edited:
For a while i've been thinking about building a hackintosh with the specific purpose of OpenCL Rendering. I'm a moderately experienced pc builder, but i havn't done casemodding or actual custom loops before.
You may want to read and post here;

I have some benchmarks if anyone is interested.

Geekbench4 i9-9900K  04-19-2019.png

So I wanted to update anyone who may have Mojave on their system. The install automatically creates an APFS file system on the destination drive. I didn't think much about it because I've had High Sierra running on a real Mac ( MacPro5,1 12-core ) since it came out and it's been really stable. Well I no longer trust APFS. I have no idea what happened but my main boot drive Mojave and my second hard drive that I brought over from my MacPro both died at same time. I was running Mojave and the screen just went crazy. So I re-booted. Could not boot into the drives. Wierdly enough the EFI boot volume with Clover still worked, but the APFS volume was corrupt. Not even disk utility could fix it. And this is both drives. The main boot drive is an NVME SSD 1tb. The second drive is a 2.5" SSD. And in both cases only the APFS volumes died. I have a total of 7 hard drives on this system. The windows drives were fine. My 4tb backup drive is fine. And the other volumes that are HFS+ drives are all fine. Only the APFS volumes were affected. Well I wiped the APFS volumes and restored from backup yesterday. After a few reboots while I was setting things back up they both died again. And only them. So now I'm running HFS+ on both drives. I do not trust APFS to be stable at all. And as I said disk utility was useless with it. I write this as a warning. I've seen other posts online about similar disasters. I'm worried that Mojave requires APFS. I'm currently running High Sierra just to be safe. I would love to know if anyone else has had this problem. I'm going to post this message as it's own thread to see if anyone else might have had this happen. I urge anyone considering moving to Mojave to have a good stable clean backup to be safe.

Oh and lastly, I was able to push my overclock to 5.0ghz. And it's stable and max temps under load can hit 85c. I'm working on improving fan curves to better keep it cool.

Just curious Juliodm how did you get the installer to boot on the MPG Z390 Gaming pro carbon AC ? , spent days trying to get the installer to boot . But coming up with Apfs boot errors every time ... are you using a different bios or settings ? Thanks very much xx if you could help I’d appreciate it xx

I had to lower the bios version of the mobo to v12. No other bios was anywhere near as stable. I will post my efi volume a bit later. I'm not home at the moment.

Thank you So much Sir , i've been Hackintoshing for Years , but this Board has Stumped even me ! , Thanks very much Sir , you're a start Helping a Lady out ! x

Attached is my EFI folder. It's not perfect but it's my daily driver @ 5.0ghz. I've not setup all the USB ports and all that. On some boots, the front IO usb 3.0 may work and and other boots it may not. I have an aftermarket PCIe 4 port USB3.0 card so I just use that as my reliable usb3.0 ports. the front IO usb ports will work as USB2.0 most times.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.4 MB · Views: 143
Thank you So much Sir , i've been Hackintoshing for Years , but this Board has Stumped even me ! , Thanks very much Sir , you're a start Helping a Lady out ! x
Above is my EFI folder. Let me know if it helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back