Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade my hardware one day, and I will use it with Seiki 4K TV (the cheapest one).
Right now I have Ivy Bridge Xeon E3 and GTX 660, my friend wants to buy this hardware, and I will move to Haswell Refresh CPU without discrete GPU, for the sake of silence and lower power consumption and maybe smaller case.

The question is, will HD 4600 drive 4k? I've searched for threads on this forum, they're mostly describing problems with low refresh rate (15 Hz instead of 30 Hz) and so on on older versions of OS X. Is everything alright now? No need to apply any patches or tweaks for this to work?

Will "Retina" scaling work out of the box, after detecting 4K screen?

And finally, is HD 4600' power enough to drive OS X interface in 4K with Retina scaling? With smooth animations and all this stuff?

Thanks.

Hi!

I'm looking to upgrade my hardware one day, and I will use it with Seiki 4K TV (the cheapest one).
Right now I have Ivy Bridge Xeon E3 and GTX 660, my friend wants to buy this hardware, and I will move to Haswell Refresh CPU without discrete GPU, for the sake of silence and lower power consumption and maybe smaller case.

The question is, will HD 4600 drive 4k? I've searched for threads on this forum, they're mostly describing problems with low refresh rate (15 Hz instead of 30 Hz) and so on on older versions of OS X. Is everything alright now? No need to apply any patches or tweaks for this to work?

Will "Retina" scaling work out of the box, after detecting 4K screen?

And finally, is HD 4600' power enough to drive OS X interface in 4K with Retina scaling? With smooth animations and all this stuff?

Thanks.

No, the HD 4600 isn't powerful enough to drive a 4K display. Also, at 30Hz the Seiki display is not
a great experience using it as a PC monitor. You'd be better off looking at a smaller 4K monitor that
can do 60Hz with at least a GTX 760 gfx card.

About display... It costs $330 (a little bit more with delivery, but that's not the point), I simply don't see any alternatives at that price. I will play games at 1080p @ 120 Hz with my Xbox, and I will use it in 4K @ 30 Hz mode with PC. I see TVs with HDMI 2.0, but they cost about $1000... maybe I missing something?

Are 60 Hz important for writing code, writing music, browsing web and watching movies (24 fps movies!)?

About hardware, I think I'll simply keep my current hardware and will use current GTX 660 with 4K display.

I have used a variety of 4K displays - honestly,ASUS PB287Q
Samsung U28D590D

are good displays - but are around $500-600 - all of these are 60Hz

You want at least 60hz - lower and you are going to really see slow refreshing on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back