Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Super Moderator
Staff member
Motherboard
CPU
Graphics
Moved to correct forum, Buying Advice.

This question has been asked before, here's what I think.
Macintosh is for people with champagne taste and purse to match.
Hackintosh for people with similar tastes, but leaner finances and wanting the challenge.

Performancewise the Hackintosh depending on the hardware you buy equals or is better than a real Mac.

I didn't built my desktop hackintosh yet, but I did have a hackintosh notebook on Thinkpad X60s.
Given the same CPU and RAM, I think the performance won't be a significant difference.
You can compare the Geekbench score posted in this forum and the corresponding apple machine.
http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/
I also have a 2010 mac mini machine. As far as stability of the system is concerned, I think the mac mini suffers less kernel panic. Maybe it is because of my poor installation skill for hackintosh. :D

To me, I think choosing a hackintosh or not is a trade off between money and time.

KenBotwinick said:
a trade off between money and time

And control...

Hi, Ken,

I agree with you. And building a hackintosh is even more fun!!!!!

I noticed that we have something in common:

1. A stylish case: Silverstone FT03 is one of my top choice cases. (other possible cases: Antec P183 and NZXT H2 Classic ) I want my hackintosh more apple-like. :D
2. No discrete graphic card. -->wasting money and electricity also generate lots of heat for my own purpose of use. I also hope one day the HD3000 driver will be available.
3. Other specs: GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i7 2600K, 16GB RAM are just like yours. But I didn't decide to use a SSD or not.

I had MB Pro before and nothing can replace real MAC. I've got Hackintosh right now and even everything works almost like a charm, nope. I'm still for MAC!

But also need to tell that when I'm start with hackintosh, I learned more about UNIX based system. And this is very very good think.

hi,

Mac
- desing
- style
- works
- high price
- Manufacturer Warranty ( Not apply :( )
- Apple logo xD

Hack
- Your Design style
- Colors and extras in case
- Works yes
- low price or high price (better speed or better)
- buy stick Apple logo xD
- More HDD, 1 TB, 2 TB or more
- SSD in first HDD OSX - better speed
- better webcam
- better RAM, more more
- Better Mother board
- Better CPU
- Dual Cpu
- Extras and accesories

Enjoy your selections or money, imac 1500 usd, hack 1200 us - i like speed and more quality, style mac pro ;)

save your money

:)

Hi jpa,
Noticed the - Manufacturer Warranty in the Apple side of Pros and Cons in your post.

If I were Apple I certainly wouldn't be proud of the length of warranty they offer, a measly one year.

All the parts in my Hackintosh have three years warranty and the hard disks have five. To me that means that the manufacturers have more faith in their hardware than Apple and don't want to rip you off to buy extra insurance. Even if you run out of warranty for something you can do the work yourself (since you built the machine in the first place) and you're not paying the Apple ransome for repair.

jpa said:
hi,

Mac
- desing
- style
- works
- high price
- Manufacturer Warranty
- Apple logo xD

Hack
- Your Design style
- Colors and extras in case
- Works yes
- low price or high price (better speed or better)
- buy stick Apple logo xD
- More HDD, 1 TB, 2 TB or more
- SSD in first HDD OSX - better speed
- better webcam
- better RAM, more more
- Better Mother board
- Better CPU
- Dual Cpu
- Extras and accesories

Enjoy your selections or money, imac 1500 usd, hack 1200 us - i like speed and more quality, style mac pro ;)

save your money

:)

iMAC price is with apple's display which one cost to much if you buy it separately. So it's up to you if Hackintosh is cheaper or not.

Other thing, what better RAM, bette CPU etc...????

And only MB with 2xXeon's installed on MAC PRO costs over 3000$.

What's better and what's cheaper?

Do you really know which components are mounted inside MAC cases?

Please, do not talk about something what isn't enough clear to you!

georgeba said:
Hi jpa,
Noticed the - Manufacturer Warranty in the Apple side of Pros and Cons in your post.

If I were Apple I certainly wouldn't be proud of the length of warranty they offer, a measly one year.

All the parts in my Hackintosh have three years warranty and the hard disks have five. To me that means that the manufacturers have more faith in their hardware than Apple and don't want to rip you off to buy extra insurance. Even if you run out of warranty for something you can do the work yourself (since you built the machine in the first place) and you're not paying the Apple ransome for repair.

WRONG! More faith is in shortest warranty!

Why not? Longest warranty isn't necessary. Apple has got much more stable components then PC based. Few types and much more time to test them and made them works perfectly then PC components which ones are more or less not fully compatible with each others.

And one more fact. Latest Alienware high-tech (not high-end) configuration failed on Windows 7 benchmark. Mac was better for about 2% - WITH OPERATING SYSTEM AIMED TO PC BASED CONFIGURATIONS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back