Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

I have a hackintosh running yosemite, I had a lot of problems with it so i bought a second hand genuine imac, similar spec but running el capitan. I wanted to use the boot up SSD from my hackintosh as the boot up drive for the original imac. I tried this and when I start it up nothing happens just as if there is no boot up drive?? Any thoughts?

Hi

I have a hackintosh running yosemite, I had a lot of problems with it so i bought a second hand genuine imac, similar spec but running el capitan. I wanted to use the boot up SSD from my hackintosh as the boot up drive for the original imac. I tried this and when I start it up nothing happens just as if there is no boot up drive?? Any thoughts?
sounds a bit of a daft idea, what are you trying to achieve here?

I have a hackintosh running yosemite, I had a lot of problems with it so i bought a second hand genuine imac, similar spec but running el capitan. I wanted to use the boot up SSD from my hackintosh as the boot up drive for the original imac. I tried this and when I start it up nothing happens just as if there is no boot up drive??

@ColBo,

Extremely bad idea,

Running Clover on a genuine Mac can corrupt the EFI BootROM if you don't know what your doing. Install MacOS the correct way on your iMac using recovery mode or update the existing version. You can the use the MacOS migration assistant to copy data and apps from your hackingtosh drive if you attach it via USB, FireWire ... I think it may even work over a network.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
There is method to my madness my hackintosh is part of a recording studio and i have many many soft synths and vst installed so i didn't want to have to reinstall everything. So can migration assistant do this from different versions of osx? This sounds too good to be true? I could migrate all files then clone the working boot up back to my SSD???

Thanks a lot guys

So can migration assistant do this from different versions of osx? This sounds too good to be true?

@ColBo,

Yes it will migrate all apps, data and user accounts/settings to your iMac ..
See this official Apple guide for more info on Migration Assistant :-

Note: After the migration you may have to update certain software for it to work correctly on a new version of MacOS

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back