Contribute
Register

Hackintosh suddenly unstable (kernel panics, window server crash, freeze..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
<< need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Hi there,
I'm running out of ideas of what is happening here.
I've been working on my hackintosh for several years (audio engineering) with perfect stability.
Last week, without any additional hardware or software installed, the machine started to randomly reset, displaying a kernel panic notification at start up. It happens sometimes every hours, sometimes once a day... It even happens when I'm not even working on it, so I can't see any action/software that would be the cause.
With my bad skills I analyzed the kernel panic logs and could not find any similar statements that would be of any clues...
So I attached a few of them to this post, maybe someone can see something ?
Also attached is an EtreCheck report I did today (sorry it's in French I can try to make another English one).

Here's my setup :
MOBO : Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP
CPU : Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (also using it as GPU)
RAM1 Crucial DDR4 8Go 2133 MHZ
RAM2 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Series 16 GO DDR4 3600 Mhz
PSU : Corsair CX550M 80PLUS Bronze (550W)
CPU Fan : bequiet! Pure Rock
Wifi Atheros 9380: 4.0.74.0-P2P
Bluetooth USB dongle GBU521
USB Hub 2.0 HEDEN
RME RayDAT PCI ADAT Interface

Many thanks for time, I really appreciate it as I obviously really need my workstation.

PS : Hope I'm respecting the rules this time :)

Attachments

• kernel panics.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 96
  • Capture d’écran 2021-04-11 à 18.15.31.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-04-11 à 18.15.31.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
  • iMac de Dalhas 2021-04-11.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 69
Hi there,
I'm running out of ideas of what is happening here.
I've been working on my hackintosh for several years (audio engineering) with perfect stability.
Last week, without any additional hardware or software installed, the machine started to randomly reset, displaying a kernel panic notification at start up. It happens sometimes every hours, sometimes once a day... It even happens when I'm not even working on it, so I can't see any action/software that would be the cause.
With my bad skills I analyzed the kernel panic logs and could not find any similar statements that would be of any clues...
So I attached a few of them to this post, maybe someone can see something ?
Also attached is an EtreCheck report I did today (sorry it's in French I can try to make another English one).

Here's my setup :
MOBO : Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP
CPU : Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (also using it as GPU)
RAM1 Crucial DDR4 8Go 2133 MHZ
RAM2 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Series 16 GO DDR4 3600 Mhz
PSU : Corsair CX550M 80PLUS Bronze (550W)
CPU Fan : bequiet! Pure Rock
Wifi Atheros 9380: 4.0.74.0-P2P
Bluetooth USB dongle GBU521
USB Hub 2.0 HEDEN
RME RayDAT PCI ADAT Interface

Many thanks for time, I really appreciate it as I obviously really need my workstation.

PS : Hope I'm respecting the rules this time :)
What do system temperatures look like? Is it possible that a fan or cooling element needs cleaning or is failing? It could also be another component failing such as your hard drive or memory or even the PSU if nothing else had changed.

What do system temperatures look like? Is it possible that a fan or cooling element needs cleaning or is failing? It could also be another component failing such as your hard drive or memory or even the PSU if nothing else had changed.
Thanks, I have a 4 fans unit including a big Pure rock radiator/fan that is keeping stuff pretty cool. But I'll make another check (any tips on how to monitor temperature on macOS ?). I have checked RAM with Rember and runned Disk Utility SOS on all drives (system is on a Samsung SSD btw). As for PSU, well I have nothing to check here except try another one. Does anything in the kernel reports looks like a clue ?

Thanks, I have a 4 fans unit including a big Pure rock radiator/fan that is keeping stuff pretty cool. But I'll make another check (any tips on how to monitor temperature on macOS ?). I have checked RAM with Rember and runned Disk Utility SOS on all drives (system is on a Samsung SSD btw). As for PSU, well I have nothing to check here except try another one. Does anything in the kernel reports looks like a clue ?
To monitor system temps in OS X you should be running VirtualSMC.kext, not FakeSMC, along with SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext. Once those are loading you can download and run Hardware Monitor by Bresink and you'll get an overview. You can also check in Windows with a program with a similar name. ( You mention running Windows Server?)

To monitor system temps in OS X you should be running VirtualSMC.kext, not FakeSMC, along with SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext. Once those are loading you can download and run Hardware Monitor by Bresink and you'll get an overview. You can also check in Windows with a program with a similar name. ( You mention running Windows Server?)

Actually windowserver has nothing to do with microsoft, I think it handles the graphics of macOS : https://eclecticlight.co/2020/06/05/windowserver-gpu-crash-different-from-a-kernel-panic/ I have also been experiencing this crash when it randomly logs out (not restart just logs out)

Thanks for the tips on monitoring the temperature, will check soon !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back