R9-290X
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys!

Since day one, I've had a problem with this. It doesn't happen on every installation, but it seems every once in awhile my hackintosh will make sort of a squeaking feedback noise when doing things like switching spaces in Lion or importing my music into iTunes. It seems the sound is coming from my computer, but when I have the speakers plugged in, those seem to amplify it. I really have no idea what could be causing this, but is it the audio kext? I have the X58A-UD3R with ALC889 audio. I don't know whether or not this is an audio issue, so I wasn't quite sure where to post it. Has anyone else gotten this shrieking or squeaking noise from their system?

Thanks guys.

I have a EX58-UD4 MB and a dual boot of Win 7 & 10.7.3. I also have a more like scratching noise coming from my systems PSU. I'm told buy the guy who built it that there are a couple of options that need disabling in the bios:

Advanced CPU features:

CPU EIST - disable
C1E Halt - disable
intel turbo tech - disable

Upon changing these settings the sound was gone when booting into windows (yay)
Unfortunately my PSU still did the same thing in Lion and at the advice of someone here I made C-states & P-states = No in the org.chameleon.boot.plist which has stopped the noise but I'm still non the wiser as to what Lion was doing to cause the PSU to act up. Sounds like a ground loop anyway if it reacts to mousing around and movement.

OSX must be causing the CPU to do something that is creating a groundloop with the PSU. If anyone out there would like to fill us in on what that might be I for one would be very great full.

What PSU are you using?

Capacitors in the PSU, MoBo, or GPU can whine.

It's usually certain combinations of those components, hitting some kind of resonant frequency, that causes it. Some manufacturers will RMA parts that do that, some won't. Some people say you can use clear nail polish on the capacitor that is whining if you can identify it and get to it... but I wouldn't do it.

Google it.

Thanks for jumping in JussTruss. Sorry to hijack the thread but in this case the sound is deff from the PSU. Is it likely that a better PSU would fix things cuz mines a pretty lame Silver Power 500w.

I've been told by the builder that it is quite common in the EX58 gigabyte boards? I can't figure it tho, disabling C1E holt fixed the problem in Win 7, but it continues in OSX? I must be the way Lion is acting with the MB. Should I edit my DSDT?

djquash said:
Thanks for jumping in JussTruss. Sorry to hijack the thread but in this case the sound is deff from the PSU. Is it likely that a better PSU would fix things cuz mines a pretty lame Silver Power 500w.

I've been told by the builder that it is quite common in the EX58 gigabyte boards? I can't figure it tho, disabling C1E holt fixed the problem in Win 7, but it continues in OSX? I must be the way Lion is acting with the MB. Should I edit my DSDT?

A better PSU may not help. Corsair and Seasonic PSUs-- some of the best-- can whine, or induce whine in other components.

It's not really a sign of anything wrong. It's just annoying to listen to.

Having been advised, I have set C-states & P-states =No in org.chameleon.boot.plist

This has stopped the PSU noise but I'm worried that it hasn't fixed the problem. Am I going to get any adverse problems from changing these settings?

It must be OS related. I spoke with the builder and it is the intel CPU that causes it. It must be the way Lion is interacting with the MB/CPU because it doesn't occur in Win? I can only think that editing the DSDT might be the way to fix the route of the problem instead of covering it up but I'm very new to this. It's my first OSX install so I stabbing in the dark?

I think what you said could be on the right track. In another build I recently did, not using a DSDT made the noise stop. I have no idea why. On my machine, the noise comes and goes with each fresh installation.

I will try getting rid of the C and P states, but won't that make the CPU do things slower, such as exporting and rendering video?

Thanks guys!

Could really do with some expertise with this matter?

Inductors in a switching PSU may cause an audible noise (frying bacon sound, squeel, sqeek, etc) depending on load.

It's a real problem that PSU designers try to address. (or should address)
http://www.deltartp.com/dpel/dpelconfer ... 011_LH.pdf

I'd suggest try replacing your PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back