Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Shutdown/Sleep/Reboot issue after bad usb contact

Hi,
Four months ago, I built an hackintosh with the following specs (From Buyer's guide advice) :
- Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI as a MB
- Intel Core i7-8700
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GO (2*8GO) DDR4 3200MHZ
- RX 580 Aorus
- EVGA 650 GQ PSU
- NZXT X42 cooling system
- NZXT Mini ITX case H200i

The Mini ITX case is the beginning of the issue : I'll explain myself. Today one of the 2 front USB broke down. I didn't noticed it and I inserted an USB in the slot. I got a bad contact and the computer instantly restarted. Once restarted I noticed that the LAN port (Ethernet) of the motherboard wasn't working anymore but also that it doesn't sleep/reboot/shutdown anymore.
I tried everything (Flashing every version of the bios and Clearing CMOS many times) and finally Ethernet port is working again.
The main issue now is that the computer still don't shutdown/sleep/restart.
When I shut it down through Mac Os I got everything as normal but then the Motherboard doesn't stop, keep running, and I hear a tiny noise (From CPU I guess ?) over and over again.
When I turn it to sleep my power button lights off as it should but the fans are speeding a little bit and same the motherboard keeps running (No wake possible).
Restart does the same as shutdown.

On Windows 10 installed on another hard drive : Computer restart is working as normal but shutdown isn't working nor as sleeping.

I tried every Kexts files to get system reboot fix but no success so far. I tried to reset VRAM but remains the same. I'm quite shocked that a single USB bad contact could do such damage to the Motherboard.
Also since I built it everything was working as expected with no issue at all.

I've already contacted Gigabyte regarding the warranty (Doubt it will be covered) but if you think about something I could try to fix this maybe I missed something, I'm all listening.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited: