Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
CPU
Core i7-4790K
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX970
Hi everyone,

I've built my hackintosh in February 2015. It's been very stable since then and the only minor issues I've had are the usual ones such as iMessage not working. Nothing serious.

Three weeks ago, I noticed my Hackintosh had restarted. I didn't pay much attention.

Yesterday, while I was away from it, it's rebooted by itself. Then it stayed on for about 10 minutes and rebooted again. I used it and it didn't reboot at all. After an hour not using it happened again.

After reading about similar issues on the forum pointing to the power cord, I've shut down my computer, unplugged the cord, plugged it again and restarted. It was fine all day, even when I was extensively using heavy programs.

For the past hours, it has been rebooting non-stop, sometimes right away and sometimes after a few minutes. Sometimes it doesn't get pass the boot loader, sometimes it reboots while Yosemite loads, sometimes when it's reached the desktop.

The only things I've changed in my computer before this is:

- installing After Efffects CC 2015 (4 weeks ago)
- installing iDrive (2 days ago)
- updating iTunes (2 days ago), not smart but I had to for professional reasons.

Any clue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Update:

I've downgraded iTunes but it didn't help. I've done some maintenance through Onyx too. I had parallel desktop installed as well. I'd used it very few times after building my Hack. I was told by Hack users it could cause severe crashes (at least this is what they've experienced). I've just remembered it opened by inadvertence a few days ago and it wasn't working properly. Could it have changed something and be the cause of this mess?

Trying to think of what could have happened over the past three weeks. I've also extensively used Chrome Remote Desktop. Anyone having issues with this?

Last edited:
Something is making the kernel crash. Google Chrome is known to cause Kernel Panics in OS X id stay away from that browser. Id recommend looking at the logs in Console.

Thank you for this info. I will try removing chrome and use Safari to see what good it does.

Since my last post, there have been new developments.

My Hack was stable for two weeks. After that, it's started rebooting every few days. For the past few days, it's been pretty chaotic.

One day, I've booted on Windows. Apparently the system had crashed but I somehow managed to start it again and run a successful self repair. I was told by a friend who has a Hackintosh never to use Parrallel Deskstop as he had had similar issues with it. It was removed before this happened. But fixing Windows created a kernel panic in my OS x drive. It wouldn't start. I booted in -x and got to the desktop. I was clueless as to what to look for so I started by running Onyx and when the computer restarted, everything worked.

A few days later, the problems returned.

My computer is restarting frantically once a day. Sometimes it doesn't even manage to do so so it stays off. When I try to turn it on, the power button doesn't work. After a while it does a bit, I hear the fans slightly starting and then stopping. Eventually, it starts again...

I've added a picture of the kernel panic and the log from my console (last crash was slightly before 10:30 today). If someone could help I would be much grateful, especially because this is my work computer and I have no alternative to it :)

Attachments

• Console.txt
    930.3 KB · Views: 811
  • 13219709_10154269426608825_629731295_n.jpg
    13219709_10154269426608825_629731295_n.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
This sounds as if you have OS X and Windows on the same disk. I had the same random rebooting issue some time ago on one of my Haswell builds. The issue was down to a corrupted disk - there was either an issue running Windows or OS X in my case. I solved the problem by Installing OS X on a second disk and using Migration assistant to pull data, apps and settings across to the new installation.
Once the OS X installation is transferred across to a second disk, delete and format the old OS X partition on the original disk. I now only have a single OS disk in this machine at any one time. I added a hot swap drive caddy for this purpose.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P2PNOOM/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your answer.

I run Windows and OS X on two separate SDD. But your hint leads me to believe something probably has gone wrong with Parallel Desktop.

If anyone is able to read the console logs, I'd be more than thankful. I'm really curious as what the issues could come from. I've looked up similar errors as in my Kernel Panic and the closest I've found were all linked with GPU. Considering setting up my GPU was the hardest part of installing my Hack, something could not be totally alright with it.

Leads: Some issues with my GPU, Parallel Desktop making a mess.

I'm taking any other possibilities you may come up with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back