Contribute
Register

Hackintosh & RAID 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The advice that I gave was for the thread OP, given after many similar discussions - it was my choice to NOT recommend that the OP attempt a RAID 0 as at the time of writing it was my understanding that it was beyond the understanding of the OP. I was not prepared to provide support in the OP doing a RAID 0 array at that point in time.

Adrian B

I have been running a RAID 0 with 3 drives (1TB each one) and it have been really stable and the performance is really noticeable.

I find no reason to not recommend a RAID 0 unit. If the reliability is a concern, a Time Machine is a perfect solution, as soon a drive dies, you get a new one, restore your system to the latest backup and act like nothing happened.

I managed to do a RAID 0 setup, but I believe it was only software based. I'm assuming there's no support for hardware based RAID except through proprietary hardware from apple. Attempting to install a bootloader to a RAID array was a nightmare. I eventually reverted to running the OS off 1 ssd, but yes, I was able to install El Capitan on a quad SSD stripped array using diskutil appleRAID stripe etc. etc. in the terminal prior to selecting the volume.

Bumping this to ask advice - I was able to(after much deliberation) Raid0 my SSD boot drive two years ago, but after updating to El Capitan I've had to boot off the USB drive every time to properly load into the desktop.

I've done some research and apparently it has to do with the UEFI boot priority - I've muddled around but to no avail. Anyone remember what they did to solve it?

Bumping this to ask advice - I was able to(after much deliberation) Raid0 my SSD boot drive two years ago, but after updating to El Capitan I've had to boot off the USB drive every time to properly load into the desktop.

I've done some research and apparently it has to do with the UEFI boot priority - I've muddled around but to no avail. Anyone remember what they did to solve it?
See http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-for-raid-0-on-os-x-10-8-5-using-tonymacx86-tool-set.111831/

RAID0 for your main boot drive is asking for trouble IMHO. With the speed of modern day SSDs it is also unnecessary.

so much conservative misinformation in this thread. Raid 0 2x 256 ssd is considerable performance difference for me.

"In sequential read and write tests, as well as in the random tests with 512 kiB blocks, using a RAID 0 array provided a considerable gain in performance compared to a single SSD, with a typical improvement around 80 percent, but reaching as much as 324 percent. Therefore, it is clear to us that instead of buying a single, large-capacity SSD, it is better to have two smaller-capacity models configured in RAID 0."

so much conservative misinformation in this thread. Raid 0 2x 256 ssd is considerable performance difference for me.

"In sequential read and write tests, as well as in the random tests with 512 kiB blocks, using a RAID 0 array provided a considerable gain in performance compared to a single SSD, with a typical improvement around 80 percent, but reaching as much as 324 percent. Therefore, it is clear to us that instead of buying a single, large-capacity SSD, it is better to have two smaller-capacity models configured in RAID 0."
With a pair of M.2 SSDs in RAID0 you will get a tremendous boot in performance. See post 34 of the thread I linked.
I took a pair of Samsung drives and Installed 10.9.5 in RAID0 on an Asrock X99M Killer with an i7 5930K. Extremely fast setup, but I just do not need that much speed with what I do, So I wiped both and Installed Win10 and El Cpaitan on separate drives for a dual boot. Unfortunately, no one has invented a hotswap tray for M.2 SSDs. :mrgreen:

I have build a system already with a Samsung m.2 512GB SSD, and now i have buy a second identical m.2 SSD for a good price.
I am using the m.2 SSD for my work (multimedia) and have 2 others SSD's for private & music production.

So i'm curious if it's possible to install both m.2 SSD with a striped RAID0 with 2 others Mac installations?
Because the mac software RAID on the m.2 controlling & arrange this SSD's and when im booting in the other OS.

Would this be a problem with the arrange of the striped RAID or would i see them as one disk or are they seperated..
I want to create also from the stripped m.2 OS a RAID1 for storage with 2x WD Black 4TB..

I have build a system already with a Samsung m.2 512GB SSD, and now i have buy a second identical m.2 SSD for a good price.
I am using the m.2 SSD for my work (multimedia) and have 2 others SSD's for private & music production.

So i'm curious if it's possible to install both m.2 SSD with a striped RAID0 with 2 others Mac installations?
Because the mac software RAID on the m.2 controlling & arrange this SSD's and when im booting in the other OS.

Would this be a problem with the arrange of the striped RAID or would i see them as one disk or are they seperated..
I want to create also from the stripped m.2 OS a RAID1 for storage with 2x WD Black 4TB..
You would have to experiment. I used 2 BPlus PCIE - M.2 adapters for the RAID0 setup I tried as the board only had one M.2 socket.

You would have to experiment. I used 2 BPlus PCIE - M.2 adapters for the RAID0 setup I tried as the board only had one M.2 socket.

As you described, I have indeed one m.2 socket on the motherboard
And the other m.2 SSD is in the Asus Hyper m.2 PCIe card that's not the problem.

But for my work using now a stable OS, before erase them both for a fresh new install on it I want to be sure.
Because the need of it daily for my multimedia work I don't have the time to experiment with it..
( sure I want to try it for my experience & knowledge )

So maybe you can tell me? ( If you have a other Mac OS beside your m.2 RAID )

That if I make the stripped m.2 RAID0 and boot into my other SATA SSD's ( Private & Music DAW OSX )
That the software RAID arrange from the m.2 SSD OS would be seen from the other OS ? ( as separated disks i think ¿ )

And would this be a problem, because the stripped m.2 SSD is the first disk(s) in boot order with the Clover UEFI
And controlling now also the boot order for my other 2 SATA OS SSD's

As you described, I have indeed one m.2 socket on the motherboard
And the other m.2 SSD is in the Asus Hyper m.2 PCIe card that's not the problem.

But for my work using now a stable OS, before erase them both for a fresh new install on it I want to be sure.
Because the need of it daily for my multimedia work I don't have the time to experiment with it..
( sure I want to try it for my experience & knowledge )

So maybe you can tell me? ( If you have a other Mac OS beside your m.2 RAID )

That if I make the stripped m.2 RAID0 and boot into my other SATA SSD's ( Private & Music DAW OSX )
That the software RAID arrange from the m.2 SSD OS would be seen from the other OS ? ( as separated disks i think ¿ )

And would this be a problem, because the stripped m.2 SSD is the first disk(s) in boot order with the Clover UEFI
And controlling now also the boot order for my other 2 SATA OS SSD's
If the other OS is Windows it will not even "see" the drives at all. Windows does not recognize Mac OS software RAID as a valid drive and will not even show your Mac OS drives unless you install a 3rd party app like Paragon for Windows or the Bootcamp software that lets you read a GPT+ drive. I do not use a RAID array of any kind as a bootable drive, so I cannot say how it will react with other bootable drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back