CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As others have pointed out already this really is a beautiful mod. Hats off to you Sir! :)

I'm going to be starting my own build thread soon as I've finally got my hands on a near pristine G5 case!

This is after I previously bought two machines which both got smashed up pretty badly in transit with UPS. Fortunately, I got my money back and also got to keep the machines so that now means I have a a lot of spare material to work with including some fairly big sections of the perforated aluminium that makes the G5 design so unique! :D

Think this could open up some interesting options where modding the backplate and front IO are concerned. I'd even have enough of the perforated material to replace a section of the top panel should I decide to put a radiator up there...

Anyway, very inspiring mod. If I manage to produce something even half as nice as this then I'll be a happy man!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
EVGA GTX670 4GB Watercooled
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Yeh I had thought about that. But the tubes would not reach - especially if a graphics card is installed as the tubes have to go over the card.

If you really want this to work you should do like me and cut the tubes carefully and replace it with custom ones. You will void your warranty, but hey that's what tweakers do!

So my question about the cut out logo - what kind of blade did you use in your jigsaw for cutting it out? I am guessing you had to drill a pilot hole first? I've never worked with metals before so I'm trying to gather as much information before I start cutting myself. What kind of files would you recommend for finishing cuts?

Question about the front IO panel. It looks like the Lian Li replacement front panel is wider than the original apple IO panel?

Seems like the Aluminum glue you used for the front port holds it well? As in even pressing a usb stick into the usb port it doesn't budge?

One final thought. I realize it's a bit late for this but if you were to ditch the standard DVD drive and install a slot loading one above where the DVD drive currently is (would have to make a small cut into the case) you could free up a lot of room in the upper chamber and either put in more ports or possible a fan controller behind the door. Just a thought.

I just used a blade for metal. I didnt drill a pilot hole, but I measured carefully. I drilled lots of holes around the edge of the logo (you can actually see this in one of the pictures) before cutting it out. Its a very easy job. The hard part is filing it out, I used a very fine one and finished with sanding paper.

Yes, the Lian Li is wider.

Yes, the glue is very strong! Just take the strongest glue you can find and you'll be fine. I even drilled out a pattern of lots of holes around the front panel aluminum and the glue holded the pressure very well.

I considered a slim drive for DVD, but ended up with a normal one. I wanted to make another cut around the dvd drive hole and fill it with a plate of aluminum (like i did with the front panel i/o), drill holes for a cool pattern and make a nice and clean small cutout for a cd/dvd. Now I start to regret I didnt do that, but it will take lots and lots of precize measurements to line up the drive against the cut out. It would def. be cool to add something like a fan controller above the dvd slot! (if it fits, not sure)

Think this could open up some interesting options where modding the backplate and front IO are concerned. I'd even have enough of the perforated material to replace a section of the top panel should I decide to put a radiator up there...

Would be nice to see a build with a top mounted radiator!

Motherboard
OSX
CPU
Graphics
660ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I wanted to make another cut around the dvd drive hole and fill it with a plate of aluminum (like i did with the front panel i/o), drill holes for a cool pattern and make a nice and clean small cutout for a cd/dvd.

Oh snap! Just gave me an idea. You could take the current slide down DVD door, mark where the slot loading DVD lines up to it and cut out area needed. This would let you load and eject the dvd without having to pull down the door. Then, behind the door you could install a few USB ports (there would be space above and below the DVD slot I think). That would tastefully hide the ports until you need them and then you would just push the door down. I'll research it more when I get home but should work.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4771
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Excellent work and just great metal work, bravo.

Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Asus GTX 550ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I want to do a mod just like this. it is gorgeous.

Motherboard
Mac Mini
CPU
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
Graphics
320M
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
What thickness of aluminum sheeting did you use?
I measured the thickness of my G5 and it was 1.45mm. The closest thicknesses I have been able to find are 1.27mm or 1.60mm. Where you able to find an exact match in regards to thickness?

Motherboard
ASUS P8P67 M-Pro
CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
ATI 5770 Vapor-X by Sapphire
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Nice and clean work - i like your front panel mod :) ...thumbs up!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
EVGA GTX670 4GB Watercooled
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
What thickness of aluminum sheeting did you use?
I measured the thickness of my G5 and it was 1.45mm. The closest thicknesses I have been able to find are 1.27mm or 1.60mm. Where you able to find an exact match in regards to thickness?

I used 2mm thick alu for the inner cage and it fits perfectly. The whole inner cage is 2mm thick, so I don't know where and how you measered the 1.45mm. I'm not sure about the outer cage, I think it was 3mm.

Motherboard
GA Z97M-D3H
CPU
i3-4370
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
How did you remove the front IO panel thing?

I've been told that it's held on by a pair of screws, but it is housed in a metal enclosure, and I cannot figure out how to remove the enclosure.

Motherboard
Customac Pro
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
Radeon HD 6850
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
What bootloader and theme are you using? I love the simplicity of it

Status
Not open for further replies.