1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Brammee,
Absolutely brilliant system.

I am looking for tips.
I just got a shiny new G5 system and just waiting figure out how to mod it.

I have already a Z77x-UP5-TH (ATX motherboard), 1 SSD, and 3 HDD, H100i cooler and Tx750 PSU - all working in a test rig.

1. How did you mount your H100 vertically and securely ?
2. Is your H100 intaking or exhausting Air ?
3. If intaking, how to you manage dust issues ?
4. What's your advise on mounting the H100 on the FLOOR of the case (and exhausting air out through the bottom) - would it work ?

Thx.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
EVGA GTX670 4GB Watercooled
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Brammee,
Absolutely brilliant system.

I am looking for tips.
I just got a shiny new G5 system and just waiting figure out how to mod it.

I have already a Z77x-UP5-TH (ATX motherboard), 1 SSD, and 3 HDD, H100i cooler and Tx750 PSU - all working in a test rig.

1. How did you mount your H100 vertically and securely ?
2. Is your H100 intaking or exhausting Air ?
3. If intaking, how to you manage dust issues ?
4. What's your advise on mounting the H100 on the FLOOR of the case (and exhausting air out through the bottom) - would it work ?

Thx.

Hi Macnb,

Those are good questions.

1) I never really mounted it, I used some spare black plexiglass and cut out a piece with and exact width/height to jam this in between the bottom and top of the case (see pic 2 where I point my finger). It feels secure enough, so I never bothered with mounting it with screws or something. I also made a cutout in the plate to mount both the radiator on the one side and the fans on the other side of the plate.

2) Exhausting. Intake on the bottom, exhaust on the rear and front.

3) I used some mesh at the bottom (you can't see it, so its working fine for me). As you can see the mesh got very dusty already!

4) Not sure. I wouldn't recommend it though. The space in between the case and the floor is little and hot air can't flow out easily. For me a front exhaust works perfect for 2 reasons: the first reason is described in 1) and the second reason is because I use a led strip to light up the case on the inside. This way the plate + radiator is blocking the light from shining through the front.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i5 3570K
Graphics
EVGA GTX670 4GB Watercooled
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
UPDATE:
I just took some pics showing the successful triple boot (Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04) and placed them on the first page.

Motherboard
Mac Mini
CPU
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
Graphics
320M
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Do you think it would be possible to put 120mmx30mmx360mm(wxhxl) radiator in the bottom with 3 120mmx25mm(w&lxh) fans in push configuration without covering the motherboard? The total height would be 55mm.

CPU
i7-3770K @ 4,4GHz
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Do you think it would be possible to put 120mmx30mmx360mm(wxhxl) radiator in the bottom with 3 120mmx25mm(w&lxh) fans in push configuration without covering the motherboard? The total height would be 55mm.

I have the power supply in the top -> the motherboard is in the lower part of the G5. To the bottom is just 35mm space, but a radiator might work, if you place the radiator in the middle / right side (seen from the front).

Motherboard
Mac Mini
CPU
2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
Graphics
320M
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I have the power supply in the top -> the motherboard is in the lower part of the G5. To the bottom is just 35mm space, but a radiator might work, if you place the radiator in the middle / right side (seen from the front).

Thanks Dschijn. I had thought about that since the 120mm wide radiator is much smaller than the inside of the G5. Having it moved over would allow the use of the 360mm rad on the bottom. Using a 60mm high rad with 25mm fans would most likely cover the motherboard up to the CPU!

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi Macnb,

Those are good questions.
Many thanks for the answers.
Understand what you did now.

I did some measurements internally and I don't think I can mount my H100i at the front as the tubes are not long enough.
There's only just enough room to mount it on the back panel but it's very tricky.
Bottom mount seems the easiest like whyte did on bit-tech forums here:

9r8Dp.jpg

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 9030 All in One
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Mac, there is always top mount as an option you know.....might lead to something new.

Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Yeh I had thought about that. But the tubes would not reach - especially if a graphics card is installed as the tubes have to go over the card.

Motherboard
OSX
CPU
Graphics
660ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
This is an inspiring, well built mod. Thank you for sharing. I really love the color scheme and I might have to *borrow* it. :D I am debating between white enamel with black interior and aquamarine accents or all black with aquamarine accents or something like what you have done.

Question about the cut out apple logo. My plan was to paint it black, however if I were to cut it out like you did I could do a back lit apple logo (e.g. macbook pros). I wonder if the apple logos on the sides of the G4s are the same size as the G5s. If so you could use one of those for a 3D backlit apple logo. So my question about the cut out logo - what kind of blade did you use in your jigsaw for cutting it out? I am guessing you had to drill a pilot hole first? I've never worked with metals before so I'm trying to gather as much information before I start cutting myself. What kind of files would you recommend for finishing cuts?

Question about the front IO panel. It looks like the Lian Li replacement front panel is wider than the original apple IO panel?

Seems like the Aluminum glue you used for the front port holds it well? As in even pressing a usb stick into the usb port it doesn't budge?

Gotta agree on the 2.5" drives. I bought a 4 drive icydock hotswap a while ago for my soon(tm) g5 build. really helps keep a clean interior and blocks less airflow.

One final thought. I realize it's a bit late for this but if you were to ditch the standard DVD drive and install a slot loading one above where the DVD drive currently is (would have to make a small cut into the case) you could free up a lot of room in the upper chamber and either put in more ports or possible a fan controller behind the door. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.