Contribute
Register

Hackintosh or normal Apple PC for iOS Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z68X-UD3H-B3 (UEFI U1l)
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
Radeon 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm wondering if a hackintosh can be recommended for iOS development? This should include successful install newest XCode, build an iOS App and submit it to Apple for approval.

Is there any downsides for using a hackintosh for iOS development? Did someone tried it out? Is someone actually using it in a full production environment?

Does anybody have any thoughts if I should go for a hackintosh instead of a normal Apple PC for iOS dev?

Thx

actually i do have an iOS dev account and have already successful submitted an app to App store. I'm currently working on a mac mini (late 2009 version). but as you might guessed by now I want a more powerful machine for my iOS dev machine.

are there some troubles with always updating XCode to the newest version with a hackintosh? because the newest XCode versions always requires newest Mac OS updates otherwise it won't let you install XCode update.

sanguinarypc said:
until now i dont have any problem with updates of xcode
i can even run 2 version of xcode in same macine like xcode 3 and xcode 4
and is working in Lion too after the upgrade of the operating system.

thanks for your answer! this is what I wanted to hear :D

sanguinarypc said:
until now i dont have any problem with updates of xcode
i can even run 2 version of xcode in same macine like xcode 3 aOSXnd xcode 4
and is working in Lion too after the upgrade of the oifperating system.

Hi, any issues with graphical performance? I haven't gone all out but is trying out running OSX via VMWare. While the general performance is pretty good, when it comes to even simple games, I get laggy performance and even glitched up graphics. My main interest is in iOS development, so wondering if it's any better installing direct.

iOS Development was the main reason I created a hackintosh. I currently dual boot win7 and lion, and they both work great! I have no problems with my lion (except the dreaded bluetooth that's been plaguing me haha)

I've had no problems with xCode or upgrading to new versions of osx.

sanguinarypc said:
Darkwoof said:
Hi, any issues with graphical performance? I haven't gone all out but is trying out running OSX via VMWare. While the general performance is pretty good, when it comes to even simple games, I get laggy performance and even glitched up graphics. My main interest is in iOS development, so wondering if it's any better installing direct.

if you have problems like performance with VMWare and MacOSX then try to make a Hackinthosh machine.

Just got hold of the Snow Leopard install disc. Will try it out, thanks!

jaif14 said:
Developing in Xcode is the one reason why I created a hackintosh. It's a great cheap solution for me, and hopefully for you.
Same here.

I actually own a real Macbook Pro (which I'd bought just for Xcode), but its screen is too small to comfortably work on user interfaces for the iPad, so I decided to go with a Hackintosh, instead of shelling out a bazillion dollars for a Mac Pro.

I've only had the Hackintosh working for a few days, but I played around with Xcode earlier this week, and it seems to work pretty well. I never tried it with VMWare.

i would like to confirm that 3rdworldcountry pipol like me and my team use Hackintosh Machines for iOS Development, primarily because it's cheaper, faster (tho not as HighQuality as the real Macs), and flexible (win/linux transition onto mac osx)..
So far, no problems,. we've been able to deploy to our own iOS devices using Hackintosh PCS..

THank you so much Tony, macMan and your team. including others here who spend time sharing their breakthroughs.

Can anyone confirm who is enrolled in the Apple Developer Program using his/her Hackintosh that requesting a provisioning profile works the same as on a real mac (OS X Lion 10.7.4, Xcode 4.3.3)? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back