Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey

I currently have a Hackintosh Build (since Oct/Nov 2011) (you can see my build in the signature). Originally i thought i will dual boot it with windows. However, I have not dual booted it.

I have found OS Apps, for everything i need, expect for a few, which i use rarely, for which i just use Parallel Desktop.

My Question is: What is the reason i should stick to this Hackintosh, rather than getting a Mac Mini. As for an average user, the Mac Mini specs arent too bad.

I do use my machine for a bit of video/photo editing …. but very rarely.

Looking forward to see some replys from the Hackintosh Community here.

Thanks.

Hi toqi786,

Stumbled across your post as currently thinking about the same. Most of the reasons are probably going to be self-explanatory.

- Price. You already have a hackintosh built and wouldn't need to spend money on another machine. Unless you plan to sell parts to fund the Mac Mini.

- Tinkering. You like to tinker and build your own machines. Or you don't like to tinker and have a mac that 'just works'. No need to worry about updates compatibility etc.

- Upgrades. Hackintosh will be easier to upgrade with new, more powerful parts. Limited upgrade capability on Mac Mini.

- Size/Design. Mac Mini is likely going to be smaller and/or look better.

- Video/Games. Hackintosh is likely to do these better depending on specs. You said you would only do some light video editing, so Mac Mini might be enough for that.

Hope that helps if you haven't made up your mind already!

- fussie

I did my own analysis. Was going for a Mac Mini 2010 (on eBay as of Sept. 2014 for $350, and upgrade 2GB ram to 8GB ram for a total cost of $450). But then I remembered, Moore's Law of computers (basically every two years computers get twice as fast). If I had gotten a 2010 Mac Mini, the computer would be 4 times as slow as what is possible today. So I opted for a Hackintosh that's costing me about $575. But I'd be able to upgrade things for at least the next two years.

My situation is that I have 2006 Macbook, so now Safari that I have is unsupported I'm worried about internet security and optimization.

Cost was the number one thing for me to consider. Then the learning experience. Then the story of building my first computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back