CPU
Intel Core i9-10900K
Graphics
ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I am a noob here both in the forum as in Hackintosh builds. I have had mine for about 6 months now and everything works perfectly.

However, I have been trying to install Sony's Imaging Edge Webcam software (an application that lets you use your Sony camera as a webcam) on my Opencore Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B50) Hackintosh. The installer requires you to reboot the Mac to continue the installation, but after the reboot, nothing happens. It is a normal reboot with the motherboard splash screen, Opencore picker, and then the Apple logo.

PC specs:
  • Opencore Vanilla install
  • Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B50)
  • ASUS Prime X570-Pro Ryzen 3
  • AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 3.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (2 x 16GB)
  • Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB (boot drive)

The reboot is required so the Sony kexts can be added to the system. Big Sur doesn't allow third party applications/kexts/drivers to be written to the macOS drive while it is in read only mode.

MacOS won't show a screen confirming the application has been installed correctly, unless Sony had that written in to the software.

Have you tried running the Sony application, from the Applications folder, after the reboot?
  • I assume you have followed the Sony instructions and disabled the WiFi on your camera, if it has WiFi capability.
  • What happens when you connect your Sony camera to your Hack, via USB cable?
  • Do you have another Webcam connected to your Hack? If yes, have you disconnected it before attaching the Sony camera
Have you thought of updating your version of Big Sur to 11.3.1, as Sony recommend using the latest version of the OS with their software.

The reboot is required so the Sony kexts can be added to the system. Big Sur doesn't allow third party applications/kexts/drivers to be written to the macOS drive while it is in read only mode.

MacOS won't show a screen confirming the application has been installed correctly, unless Sony had that written in to the software.

Have you tried running the Sony application, from the Applications folder, after the reboot?
  • I assume you have followed the Sony instructions and disabled the WiFi on your camera, if it has WiFi capability.
  • What happens when you connect your Sony camera to your Hack, via USB cable?
  • Do you have another Webcam connected to your Hack? If yes, have you disconnected it before attaching the Sony camera
Have you thought of updating your version of Big Sur to 11.3.1, as Sony recommend using the latest version of the OS with their software.
Thanks for your reply.

The application does not finish the install. It’s not in the Applications folder or anywhere else.

I feel pretty dumb now, because I have not plugged in the actual camera, so it might be an application that runs in the background (whatever it’s called), and does not have a GUI.

I do not have any other webcams.

I was a little hesitant to update the OS, as the current version is running so stable, but 11.3.1 seems to be working fine for everyone.

The application may be written to the Utilities folder instead of the Applications folder. Have you checked the Utilities folder for any Sony applications?

I would definitely attach the camera and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back