Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice, that's a great idea!

Here's the hardware listing:

jw12sdai.png BitFenix Phenom BFC-PHE-300-KKXKK-RP Midnight Black Steel / Plastic Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case
qbfh40pw.png GIGABYTE GA-Z87N-WIFI LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
m5stnlim.png CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
ckw676pu.png Intel Core i5-4670 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670
v7_g3h8j.png CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

I would use onboard's lan and video since I'm not doing anything graphic intensive. Maybe I would buy a video card sometimes in the future depending on onboard's performance (which I expect to be nothing extra-ordinary).

Thanks!

Those parts should work fine , but you seem to have chosen a locked processor , but a motherboard that supports unlocked processors . If you plan on over clocking i recommend you get the I5-4670K and if you don't plan on buying a locked processor i recommend you buy a cheaper H87 board as they will do the same thing as the z87 board , but for less Link : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128626

Ultimately , the price difference between the 4670 and 4670k is $20 . So i would recommend that if you aren't on a super tight budget that you go for the unlocked processor so in the future if you plan on over clocking you can and aren't limited to the factory base clock . Link : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

Thanks for your response! I've been waiting for answers with excitement :p

I wasn't planning on overclocking it, which is why I took the non K model. Is there a motherboard equivalent for non overclockable cpu? I don't mind buying it anyways though.

As for the extra 20$ I don't really mind so I guess I could grab the K version after all. We never know I might need to overclock it someday!

Otherwise, the rest is Hackintosh-able enough? That's exactly what I wanted to read :)

EDIT: Oh crap my PSU is backorder since... now. I wonder what to pick now, I don't want it to be too big since it'll be inside a small MiniATX case...

Thanks again!

Since the 500W version of the Corsair PSU is unavailable I was wondering, would 430W suffice?

I'd pick that one http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139049 or the 600W.

Any advice? Thanks all!

EDIT: I used a psu calculator to roughly have an idea, I maxed everything I'd use to the max (I've put more fans in case I want to add some, etc) and it gave me 207W so I guess I'll have plenty of 430W! :p

The 430W version will be just fine, you are unlikely to need more than 220w at full peak power.

Adrian B
Since he doesn't even have a gpu, I wouldn't be surprised if the power draw stays under 160 watts from the wall. Assuming 80% psu efficiency, that would come out to roughly 125 watts out of the 430watts, even that 430 watt psu is overkill.

Since he doesn't even have a gpu, I wouldn't be surprised if the power draw stays under 160 watts from the wall. Assuming 80% psu efficiency, that would come out to roughly 125 watts out of the 430watts, even that 430 watt psu is overkill.

Glad to read this, I just thought I'd leave some room in case I'd want a video card and a few other SSDs, etc.

Since everybody seems to agree that this build will run OS X straightaway I'm going to order it soon! :)

Thanks everybody for the advice, greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back