i5 2.4Ghz
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi!

I'm currently the owner of a 15 inches 2009 Macbook Pro and I was thinking about purchasing a 15 inches Macbook Pro Retina in the next months. That's when I realized that I wasn't using the "portable" aspect of my computer anymore. It's on a stand on my office desk, hooked to a second monitor and I never get it out of the office. So why not go back to a good old desktop!

I thought about iMacs, I owned 2 of them in the past and they all had heating problems as my current Macbook Pro as. They just heat up until they're forced to reboot, even with the fans at max. Then I thought about waiting to get the next Mac Pro, price-wise I'm not ready to shell even more money (I'd need a few tweaks on the original build and I guess it would cost something like 3000-4000...)

That's when I remembered that I had a Hackintosh in the past, it wasn't the greatest but it was working well enough. So now I'd want a new hackintosh, with good hardware and two monitors hooked to it.

Questions:

- Any changes hardware-wise for installing Mavericks on a Hackintosh?
- Is it possible to run OS X without ANY problems at all / to have a 100% legit experience? (My hackintosh crashed a lot back in the days)
- Any problem with using two monitors on a Hackintosh?
- What kind of motherboard/video card should I look for? Anything else specific? (I guess every Intel i3-i5-i7 will do for the CPU right?)

EDIT: I used to swap harddrives from any Mac machine and it usually worked pretty well. Do you think it would be possible to simply grab my Macbook Pro hard drive (it's a brand new ssd) and put it in my new Hackintosh?

I built a first wishlist draft on Newegg based on buyer's guide, anybody could tell me if this looks right?

https://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=23513085

Also, feel free to suggest anything.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Nobody has at least some advice about my thread? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Q : Any changes hardware-wise for installing Mavericks on a Hackintosh?
A : No not really any previous 64bit intel based mac or hackintosh should be able to run mavericks fine as long as the system meets the mavericks minimum requirements . Consult apple.com for them

Q:Is it possible to run OS X without ANY problems at all / to have a 100% legit experience? (My hackintosh crashed a lot back in the days)

A : If Proper compatible parts are chosen , then yes it is possible to have an 100% legit experience . I would recommend checking the official tonymacx86 buyers guide which list components that have been tested to work 100% in Mac OSX : http://www.tonymacx86.com/393-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-october-2013.html

Q: Any problem with using two monitors on a Hackintosh?
A : You shouldn't encounter any problems with dual monitors , just make sure your graphics card can support it (Most cards do these days) and if you plan on using integrated make sure your motherboard has the required ports .

Q: What kind of motherboard/video card should I look for? Anything else specific? (I guess every Intel i3-i5-i7 will do for the CPU right?)

A: I would recommend a gigabyte MOBO for a Hackintosh : for recommended boards consult the buyers guide . For graphics its depends on what you plan on doing with the computer . If you don't plan on doing any thing graphical heavy , i suggest using the integrated graphics on the intel core i series processors . But if you plan on doing graphic heavy tasks i suggest getting sometype of graphics cards (I.E GTX 760 , 770 , 660 , 650Ti , etc)

Q : I used to swap harddrives from any Mac machine and it usually worked pretty well. Do you think it would be possible to simply grab my Macbook Pro hard drive (it's a brand new ssd) and put it in my new Hackintosh?

A : If the hard drive/SSD is from one of the older iMacs or MacBooks , then it most likely uses a standard sata 3/6 drive and should be compatible in a pc .

And your wish list link doesn't work . Please set the list to public.

Wow! Thanks for your awesome response!

Anout the harddrive: it's a new SSD I bought a few months ago and yes it has SATA. So I could remove it from my MacBook and plug it in a hardware compatible hackintosh and it would work right away? That'd be GREAT!

edit: I wouldn't need any utility such as Tony's to get it to work? I'm excited.
Edit2: anything to say about my build here? https://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=23513085

thanks again

should work, what ssd is it? from what i understand, SATA devices are pretty much universal with OSX. except for WD drives. they don't really like to work as internal drives from my experience

Three times you've posted a link to your build and three times you've posted a link that requires a password to view!!

Nobody can comment because nobody can see it!!

If you have a hardware question then please just list your hardware here.

If you plan to put your SSD back into your MacBook in the future then I would suggest cloning the drive before you add any of Tony's tools. Tony's tools (as well as those from other hackers) are only to be used with PC hardware to run OS X. Using them in a real mac can cause great damage to the Mac. Prepare in advance - you could clone onto a 500GB HDD and still have a working laptop.

Use either CCC or SuperDuper : http://www.tonymacx86.com/173-backup-solutions-your-mac-customac.html

:thumbup:

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back