i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello there!

After a summer of messing with my Macbook late 2008, adding RAM, SSD, and setting up a fusion drive on it I've decided that I wanted to make a hackintosh that I can customize and update on my own as opposed to paying apple for it! Yay!

Haha, all silliness aside I'd like to get a confirmation or any advice on this build that I'd like to pursue. I've followed the most recent CustoMac Pro options listed and I want to put them in a G5 case.

The most taxing things I'll be using this build for is heavy graphic design and graphically heavy games like Starcraft 2 and Europa Universalis 4 that my Macbook can't begin to handle. Build is as follows.

Case - PowerMac G5 Case Enclosure
PSU - POWER SUPPLY 450W POWERMAC G5 - 661-2903
Motherboard - Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard (GA-Z77X-UP4-TH)
CPU - Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 BX80637I73770K
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CML16GX3M2A1600C10)
SSD - SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Bare Drive - ST31000524AS
Wireless - MacBook Airport Card - 661-4460, 661-4594, 661-4906
Graphics - Gigabyte GeForce GT 640 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 2x DVI-D/D-SUB/HDMI Graphics Card GV-N640OC-2GI

Should all add up to about $1100

I know that the ATX motherboard won't fit in the G5 case so I'll have to make room, but I'm not entirely sure how others have done it. Advice appreciated

I also am curious about overclocking the system. With heavy graphic design, or visually intense gaming will overclocking the CPU be beneficial to me or is a 3.5GHz processor and powerful graphics card good enough for me? I may be delving into some video editing in the not too distant future as well.

If I've missed anything (I think I need case fans?) then please let me know!

Thanks guys! Super excited!!!
:D

Looks good, though I agree, probably shouldn't use the G5 PSU.

Maybe look at GFX 760 or 670, I'd say they offer the best value for money for 'visually intense' gaming at the moment.

Don't use the Powermac G5 PSU, get a regular PSU.
A GeForce 640 is not sooooooo good.

Right, the only reason I opted for the Powermac PSU is that I was concerned about any other type fitting in the hull. I haven't opened a computer (other than my Macbook) in years so I have no idea what parts can fit in the G5 case.

That link that Going Bald posted seems helpful. I've seen several cases that people cut up for motherboard trays from Mountain Mod and whatnot. Is that necessary? I'd rather avoid physically modding the case with special tools if possible, but if it's necessary I suppose I can find a way.

As for the GeForce 640 I opted for it cause it was much cheaper than the other options and had 2gb of VRAM. That's really the only criterium I know to judge a graphics card by.

(Sorry, new to this whole, building-my-own-computer thing)

Would the extra $150 for the GTX 760 be worth it vs. the GeForce 640 for Starcraft 2 and Europa Universalis IV? On my current macbook the issue with these games seems to be an older GPU with ****ty VRAM.

Thanks again for your input guys, I appreciate the responses
:thumbup:

Edit: Dschijn I just saw your in your first G5 mod that you were able to fit a regular PSU in there.

Also appears that to use an ATX motherboard that I do indeed have no other choice but to cut the case itself for the mountain mod motherboard tray. I'm not 100% confident in my capabilities to cut metal but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back