Contribute
Register

Hackintosh-newbie: Can I use my ThinkCentre M55 (and can I multi-boot?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkCenter M91p
CPU
Intel Core i5-2500
Graphics
nVidia GeForce GT640
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
  6. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Ello!

A complete part-newbie here. Complete, because this is/will be my first foray into the "Hackintosh Scene", but partly because I'm not a newbie concerning computers in general. I know my way around linux distros, Windowses and Macs. I used to run a mac (exclusively) for years, but that was a long time ago. I still have that Dual-1GHz G4 PowerMac, but let's face it, it IS old. Latest it can do is a 10.5 and being a PPC.. yeah, well, it's not fast :D But the point is, any instructions of info you have does not need to be in a any-fool-can-do-it -format. I do not fear the command line :p

Anyway. My main computers is x64 Win7 machine, but Windows is... well, Windows. I play games on it. :)

But! I have a secondary machine, a Lenovo/IBM ThinkCentre M55 (C2D E6600 @2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM) with a slew of additional hardware: nVidia GT240 (currently installed),and others that I can swap if it is better: nVidia 8400GS, Radeon 3600Pro and a Radeon 4200 (but installing that would require modifying the cooler) and a couple of HDDs. A few USB sticks, couple of different WiFi USB sticks and a handful of USB audio dongles. The machine currently runs a multiboot selection of ElementaryOS Luna, Haiku R4 and Ubuntu 0414 (on a shared 80Gb disk, with an unused spare 160Gb available).

The "dream" (so to speak) is to have that machine running newest-that-it-can-run Mac OS X as a primary and the possibility to boot into Haiku and some flavor of (Debian-based) linux.

So you think that would be possible?

I read a couple of "getting started" guides, but I can't follow any of them to the letter. Mostly because most of them are either dead links, or private/removed YouTube videos or some such. The ones that are available rely on the availability of a recent Mac computer.

I do have a Mac mini (2006), but as that is only capable of running 10.6.8 (which it is), I cannot download the Mavericks installer on it (at least that I know of I can't). Note here: I'm not adverse of buying any required pieces of software, no. I don't just want a "free mac". I'm perfectly willing to pay for the OS or possibly any small hardware additions, I just can't afford a full-blown Mac right now. (Also I really would like to get to use this "spare" computer and multiboot it with those systems). But with only the Mac mini, I can't even buy the OS from the Apple Store, because it is not supported.

So, could someone (please) direct me to somewhere that has more info, or tell me a bit more of what I need to do.

What I THINK I need to do is:

a) A way to download (and buy) the Mavericks Installer. (I believe the best bet is to download it to the Mac mini?)
b) some way to make a bootable media (USB preferred, I do have 16Gb stick, but DVD is a possibility).
c) transfer needed kexts/other "tweaks" to allow it to run on the M55.
d) configure the M55 with optimum hardware (I'd hope the GT240 would be OK, as it is the most powerful of those that I can easily install).
e) way to boot and install the system to the M55
f) post-install configuration and installing required drivers.

of which c) and f) I have absolutely no idea of what I need to do.

But mostly, I need to know if this is indeed even possible. I can settle for single-booting Mac OS X on the M55 if multiboot is out of the question, but can the M55 even run Mac OS X without modification and if so, which version?

I have a think center M55 running Yosemite.
It it requires the usb drive to boot then I can select the Yosemite partition to run and it boots up. Before I had mountain lion with the same issue of having to always start with a USB drive attached on this machine prior to installing Yosemite.

It is running the onboard graphics so it isn't compatible with things like Minecraft and some other types of gaming software, but it does work as a decent base level machine. Intel 3000 onboard graphics seems to not be supported... at least I haven't looked really hard into trying to set it up. I had thought of getting a card, but it needs a PCI card and I only have AGP Radeon's as extra.

Only thing I added was and Edimax Wireless AC 1200 usb dongle. That was mostly to prevent having to wire to the front of the house. The Edimax is a screamer. Very fast and snappy internet. It was really easy to install on the M55 Mackintosh. Plug in.... install driver... voila!

Mountain Lion seemed to run a bit better, but I haven't run Multi Beast on the Yosemite machine since the upgrade.

I tried for a week to make it dual bootable with XP at some point, but the problem I encountered is that the Bios setting needed to be one way for Windows and another for OS X. So I gave up on that. I have parallels so I was thinking a virtual Machine would be just your ticket. You could run windows, BeOS, Android, or whatever you wanted inside of the Virtual Machine. But I haven't tried this off of my main machine. You would need Virtual Box Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

Currently I run Snow Leopard,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back