Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't
CPU
read the
Graphics
Rules!
Hi lads,

I have a 10.7.5 Hackie which i use for Audio Production. The motherboard has started to behave weirdly and i have chosen to do a major upgrade, though my only problem is compatibility while i upgrade.

I just got hold of a Z87X-OC and an i7 4770k, however my old system as you've noticed is Lion, and i know it doesnt support Haswell cpu's.

I would like to know what kind of solutions do i have to backup my system, keeping i mind that i cannot access the Hackie due to the faulty motherboard.

All im interested to backup is the Plug-ins and Project locations of Logic Pro / Pro Tools, User Data i'll just drag and drop around manually.

Thanks

1) Keep your "Sandy Bridge" hard drive separate & safe for now,
2) Build the new Mavericks i7 & Z87X-OC with new SSD or hard disk,
3) Once new build is working, connect the "Sandy Bridge" hard disk in secondary SATA slot.
4) Once boot up, you can copy whatever files you want from "Sandy Bridge" hard disk.

Thanks for the reply mate,

Regarding number 4, i might be able to do that before hand and copy the necessary files elsewhere, though i am very curious to know if things like Plugins work without installing, but i guess that requires a research that may be off topic, but i reckon a lot of Audio Production lads might help me in this matter.

What about the Migration Assistant Tool or however it is called, will that be any help? let's say I've separately installed Mavericks, can i use the Lion SSD to actually migrate the stuff?

Also, since i have a single SSD and a spare HDD to experiment with, can i copy/clone the currently populated Lion SSD to that spare HDD?
I want to install mavericks on the SSD straight away, will this cause me any circumstances? SSD is a single partition, shouldn't be a problem for the HDD to boot the system right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back