Contribute
Register

Hackintosh-HP-Omen-X-17-GTX-1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
@dtk20

When we try to run the bash command in Catalina or Monterey, we get:
Code:
% bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

Downloading driver blacklist...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   140  100   140    0     0    687      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   710

Downloading driver list...
100 76630  100 76630    0     0   249k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  253k

Could not find a release for your OS.

The latest recommended release is:

Do you want to install that now? [Y/n] Y

Downloading 387.10.10.10.40.140 drivers...
100 60.9M  100 60.9M    0     0  37.3M      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 37.4M

Patching package...
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Patched install requirements.
Patched extension.

Repackaging...

But then we get an error as expected, because the System volume is not writable:
Code:
Installing new drivers...
installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.140
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.)

Some questions:
  1. Did you install the drivers in Catalina or in Big Sur or in Monterey, or in all of them?
  2. Did you install the drivers while booted into "Recovery" partition?

Last edited:
Latest screenshots show no graphics acceleration as expected: solid gray background in menu bar and dock. In addition, built-in screen appears unusable/unsupported, just external screens off HDMI and/or DP or USB-c.

This is the equivalent of GMA950, GMA X3100 or GeForce 7xxx in Mountain lion/Mavericks and later with 10.6.2's 64bit drivers: no graphics acceleration so not "working" as we'd all understand it of course.

This is just another misleading thread posted from someone who can't even be straightforward with the truth but goes around all the Hackintosh forums with his false claim. Total BS and total waste of time really. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Last edited:
@dtk20

When we try to run the bash command in Catalina or Monterey, we get:
Code:
% bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

Downloading driver blacklist...
100   140  100   140    0     0    687      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   710

Downloading driver list...
100 76630  100 76630    0     0   249k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  253k

Could not find a release for your OS.

The latest recommended release is:

Do you want to install that now? [Y/n] Y

Downloading 387.10.10.10.40.140 drivers...
100 60.9M  100 60.9M    0     0  37.3M      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 37.4M

Patching package...
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Patched install requirements.
Patched extension.

Repackaging...

But then we get an error as expected, because the System volume is not writable:
Code:
Installing new drivers...
installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.140
installer: Installing at base path /
installer: The install failed. (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. The package is attempting to install content to the system volume.)

Some questions:
  1. Did you install the drivers in Catalina or in Big Sur or in Monterey, or in all of them?
  2. Did you install the drivers while booted into "Recovery" partition?
Hello CaseySJ,
"Did you install the drivers while booted into "Recovery" partition?" Yes I also tried it. You can try it.
"Did you install the drivers in Catalina or in Big Sur or in Monterey, or in all of them?"
Yes, I bought many external SSDs, Crucial 240 GB to try High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey.
After installing NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.140, HS, Mojave, Cat, BS, and Mon show "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB" and I can use Safari, FireFox to watch TV and YouTube videos on built-in screen and external HDMI big screen.
If you want to use NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit 10.1 to use GPU TensorFlow 2.4.0 and GPU PyTorch 1.9.0 for Deep Learning on MacOS, HS 10.13.6 must be used because I cannot install CUDA Toolkit 10.1 for Mojave, Cat, BS, and Mon.

Hello CaseySJ,
"Did you install the drivers while booted into "Recovery" partition?" Yes I also tried it. You can try it.
"Did you install the drivers in Catalina or in Big Sur or in Monterey, or in all of them?"
Yes, I bought many external SSDs, Crucial 240 GB to try High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey.
After installing NVIDIA Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.140, HS, Mojave, Cat, BS, and Mon show "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB" and I can use Safari, FireFox to watch TV and YouTube videos on built-in screen and external HDMI big screen.
If you want to use NVIDIA CUDA Toolkit 10.1 to use GPU TensorFlow 2.4.0 and GPU PyTorch 1.9.0 for Deep Learning on MacOS, HS 10.13.6 must be used because I cannot install CUDA Toolkit 10.1 for Mojave, Cat, BS, and Mon.
Hello @dtk20

I think my questions were a little confusing. Let me try again:
  • Nvidia drivers can be installed in High Sierra with no problem. So let's ignore High Sierra for now.
  • On a fresh installation of Big Sur (not migrated from High Sierra), were you able to install the Nvidia drivers?
  • If yes, can you provide step-by-step instructions?

Hello @dtk20

I think my questions were a little confusing. Let me try again:
  • Nvidia drivers can be installed in High Sierra with no problem. So let's ignore High Sierra for now.
  • On a fresh installation of Big Sur (not migrated from High Sierra), were you able to install the Nvidia drivers?
  • If yes, can you provide step-by-step instructions?
Hello CaseySJ,
On a fresh installation of Big Sur (not migrated from High Sierra), were you able to install the Nvidia drivers?
No. However, if you want to have HDMI connection with Smart TV and About This Mac: Graphics "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB", you can manually copy the following files:
/L/E/GeForce*.kext, NVDA*.kext
/L/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.nvagent.plist
/L/LaunchDaemons/com.nvidia.nvroothelper.plist
A better way to do, as you mentioned, is migrating kexts and other files from High Sierra.
If you have another solution to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 of HP OMEN X Laptop 17-ap051nr, please share it with me.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
:headbang::headbang::headbang:
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

No, it's not even remotely the nVidia Web Driver, just its kexts (without the bundles) and its launch agents for cosmetic reasons only. Claiming to have working "Big Sur and Monterey with nVidia Web Driver 387.10.10.10.40.140" in such conditions is a joke.

Last edited:
If you have another solution to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 of HP OMEN X Laptop 17-ap051nr, please share it with me.
There is no solution for working graphics on your system

This method doesn't have acceleration, but does it have EDID reading and resolution switching? That would make it at least slightly better than just using the EFI framebuffer.

Use AllRez to dump the framebuffer info and list of modes.
Attached is a newer version that includes an iogdiagnose/AGDCDiagnose dump (with some parsing improvements) but it's only been tested with Monterey 12.4. This newer version also dumps DPCD from MST topology.

Attachments

• AllRez.zip
    716.4 KB · Views: 47
Cardenesj2! is not a make or model of any laptop

As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:
Erm, It is the same generation HP and they are both Omen 17's. They use similar components, likely the trackpad, which is what I am responding about. The main difference is the motherboard that sports the Nvidia vs Radeon.

Edit: Oops, I didnt noticed wrong filled blank

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back