Contribute
Register

HACKINTOSH? HP ELITEDESK 800 G3 MINI

Status
Not open for further replies.
*** Deleted and superceeded by this post below ***

Last edited:
I also seeing similar problem with G4 version of this desktop. are you able to fix this?
Clover's Apple RTC fix cured this for me on my 800 G4 Mini.

System Specs
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini (I7-8700T, Q370 Chipset, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 2 x NVMe SSD, 1 x SATA6 SSD)
  • 3 x DP ports (connected to monitors using DP -> DVI adapters)
  • 6 x USB 3.1
  • 1 x USB c 3.1
  • Clover (UEFI) r5118 (SMBIOS MacModel MacMini 8,1)
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.4

MY 800 G4 EFI is here. My EliteDesk800 G4 works PERFECTLY (sleep/wake, multiple displays, CPU power management, everything). I compared my G4 EFI to your G3 EFI and noticed the following differences (not sure if these apply to the G3, but posting in case this helps anyone):
  • Using AppleALC (not VoodooHDA) for audio
  • No need for XHCI-unsupported.kext when using USBInjectAll.kext with custom SSDT-UIAC.
  • No need for FakePCIID...kext - see WhateverGreen FAQs here
  • Using Rehabman's USBInjectAll.kext with custom SSDT-UIAC created with Hackintool
  • No need for HDAS renaming when using WEG
  • No need for -disablegfxfirmware boot arg when using WEG
  • No need for -lilubetaall (maybe not needed with newer WEG)
  • Injecting WhateverGreen Framebuffer properties in Clover config.plist
  • Don't inject Intel and don't specify clover ig-platform-id when using WEG
  • Add clover AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch for multiple displays with IGPU
  • Rename _OSI to XOSI and use SSDT-XOSI
  • Added SSDT-PMCR to add PMCR device
  • Address Device (EC) - I was able to apply Clover rename EC0 -> EC
  • Add EFICheckDisabler.kext

My System Specs
  • HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini (I7-8700T, Q370 Chipset, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 2 x NVMe SSD, 1 x SATA6 SSD)
  • 6 x USB 3.1
  • 1 x USB c 3.1
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Last edited:
MY 800 G4 EFI is attached. My EliteDesk800 G4 works PERFECTLY (sleep/wake, multiple displays, CPU power management, everything). You should soon be able to find my complete solution by Googling "EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini Perfect MacMini8,1" (solution recently posted, so it may not yet be visible). I compared my G4 EFI to your G3 EFI and noticed the following differences (not sure if these apply to the G3, but posting in case this helps anyone):
  • Using AppleALC (not VoodooHDA) for audio
  • No need for XHCI-unsupported.kext when using USBInjectAll.kext with custom SSDT-UIAC.
  • No need for FakePCIID...kext - see WhateverGreen FAQs here
  • Using Rehabman's USBInjectAll.kext with custom SSDT-UIAC created with Hackintool
  • No need for HDAS renaming when using WEG
  • No need for -disablegfxfirmware boot arg when using WEG
  • No need for -lilubetaall (maybe not needed with newer WEG)
  • Injecting WhateverGreen Framebuffer properties in Clover config.plist
  • Don't inject Intel and don't specify clover ig-platform-id when using WEG
  • Add clover AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy patch for multiple displays with IGPU
  • Rename _OSI to XOSI and use SSDT-XOSI
  • Added SSDT-PMCR to add PMCR device
  • Address Device (EC) - I was able to apply Clover rename EC0 -> EC
  • Add EFICheckDisabler.kext

My System Specs
  • 6 x USB 3.1
  • 1 x USB c 3.1
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.4
Hi, I have a EliteDesk 800 G2, i7-6700 which would be 2 gen. behind yours. I have USB-C and USB 3.0. I have major problems with sleep. Crashes even when monitor sleeps. I will try to modify your EFI for iMac17,1 which is for Sky Lake cpu. Not sure if that will work. I have 2 mini-PC here, HP 800 G2 and Lenovo m910q (i7-7700T). I am using OpenCore 0.5.8. Maybe it seems Clover does a better job with these mini-PCs.
What do you think I must change to get this to work on my HP 800 G2?

Just some questions:
-Why are you using FakeSMC and not virtualSMC?
-Why do you have the same kexts in LE as in Clover/kexts/other?
-Do you have any USB mapping since you say sleep is perfect
-How did you do CPU power management? My 800 G2 is running fans very all the time so I suspect the CPU power management is not good.

Hi, I have a EliteDesk 800 G2, i7-6700 which would be 2 gen. behind yours. I have USB-C and USB 3.0. I have major problems with sleep. Crashes even when monitor sleeps. I will try to modify your EFI for iMac17,1 which is for Sky Lake cpu. Not sure if that will work. I have 2 mini-PC here, HP 800 G2 and Lenovo m910q (i7-7700T). I am using OpenCore 0.5.8. Maybe it seems Clover does a better job with these mini-PCs.
What do you think I must change to get this to work on my HP 800 G2?

Just some questions:
-Why are you using FakeSMC and not virtualSMC?
-Why do you have the same kexts in LE as in Clover/kexts/other?
-Do you have any USB mapping since you say sleep is perfect
-How did you do CPU power management? My 800 G2 is running fans very all the time so I suspect the CPU power management is not good.

I don't have OC experience yet but would like to try. I won't be much help with OC.

FakeSMC is what I know - haven't used VirtualSMC.

If the kexts (and specifically FakeSMC / VirtualSMC) are not yet cached by macOS, they are injected by Clover when using Inject Kexts = Detect. There are debates about placing any kexts in /L/E. TonyMacx86's "official" position is that all kexts should be in /E/C/k/O. I prefer kexts in /L/E for the reasons you'll find with a search, but that may be changing if future versions of macOS block 3rd-party kexts. See @jaymonkey 's great explanation here.

When I first installed Catalina, I used a USB port limit patch to permit Catalina installer to boot. As soon as I was able to boot Catalina, I created a SSDT-UIAC with Hackintool. I use Rehabman's USBInjectAll for USB. SSDT-UIAC addresses the "port mapping." After I confirmed that my USB ports were working properly, I disabled the port limit patch. There are other ways to do this - this is my preference and what I know.

CPU Power Management for my I7-8700T CPU is handled "natively" with Catalina because I selected the correct SMBIOS MacModel (MacMini8,1) for my system. For all of my hacks, I always choose the SMBIOS MacModel that most closely matches my system architecture. My system runs cool and fast, so I assume it's working fine. I checked "Plugin Type" in my Clover config.plist because I read somewhere that it might be necessary. Haven't tested without it.

Last edited:
I started a new HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini thread here. I'll be updating this to become a guide.

I just got a HP Elitedesk 800 G3 Mini 65W (Q270, i7-7700, HD630 and Intel NVME SSD) and fighting with High Sierra 10.13.6 installation for 2 nights, no luck. I get the installation screen once but then reboot (panic error) forever.
Would you mind share your config.plist and Kexts list? Thanks.

Update: Never mind, I just installed 10.13.6 and most functions are working. Doing more tests...
Hey PowerK6,
Interested in buying the same mini desktop but not sure about the level of fan noise and operation temps. I liked seeing the open mesh at the top of the case and 65w version supposed to have better heatsink. How loud is the cooling fan? Does it run in the warmer side (50-60 C) in light tasks?
Thank you!

Hey PowerK6,
Interested in buying the same mini desktop but not sure about the level of fan noise and operation temps. I liked seeing the open mesh at the top of the case and 65w version supposed to have better heatsink. How loud is the cooling fan? Does it run in the warmer side (50-60 C) in light tasks?
Thank you!
On the 65w versions the fan runs often but not annoying. The "t" 35w CPUs run much cooler. Barley noticeable even under load. But lower performance. E.g. my i5 6500 (65w) is faster than my i7 7700t (35w)!

On the 65w versions the fan runs often but not annoying. The "t" 35w CPUs run much cooler. Barley noticeable even under load. But lower performance. E.g. my i5 6500 (65w) is faster than my i7 7700t (35w)!
Hi asleb,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was wondering if replacing the i5-6500 with the T version on the 65w setup can improve the operating temperature down as the 65w heatsink and mesh case would provide better cooling? I live in hotter climate and trying to figure a compact but cooler system.
Thanks!

Last edited:
S
Hi asleb,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was wondering if replacing the i5-6500 with the T version on the 65w setup can improve the operating temperature down as the 65w heatsink and mesh case would provide better cooling? I live in hotter climate and trying to figure a compact but cooler system.
Thanks!
Sorry for late reply. My answer was just gone. Yes a T model cpu runs much cooler. Since there is not much chance of fan tuning in these models a 35w cpu would run pretty much quieter than a 65w. Personally I would not sacrifice the lost performance. Why not a small itx build 65w cpu where you can get performance and have some silent noctua fans? I have a nice Ghost S1 build that runs more quiet than my 65w HP 800 mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back