AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have been running a Hackintosh without any real issues for the past couple of months but all of a sudden this past week I started having issues. About once a day when I was doing something, usually opening or switching to a new app, the Hackintosh would freeze up and I would have to press the power button to restart. One of these resulted in a kernel panic, but all of the others just completely locked up the system to the point where the clock stopped working.

For the most part I was just able to reboot in the past to fix this issue and last another day. But as of last night I can't boot the Hackintosh. When I try to boot it up I get through the boot process, then I get a white screen and think it is going to the login screen, but instead I get a black screen with this message scrolling down my screen.

disk0s1: I/O error.
** It continues down until the monitor is almost full and then.
com.apple launched 1 com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication 3376 Exit timeout lapsed (20 seconds). Killing
com.apple launched 1 org.chromium.chromoting 3449 Exit timeout lapsed (20 seconds). Killing
**This fills the monitor, it flashes white, and then it loops back through saying the same thing again.

When it does this there isn't much I can do. Since I have a solid state drive the system usually boots up in around ten seconds so after waiting a minute or so I just shut down the system. At first I thought the solid state drive was failing so I updated the firmware on my SSD and tried putting it into another system to see if I could access the files. I was able to both update the firmware, and view the files on another system.

I have also tried using different SATA ports (even from another controller), different SATA cables, and even different SATA power cables so I don't think that this is the issue.

If this is any help the last time the system locked up was when I was moving one tab on Chromium over to my other monitor. It locked up and I rebooted the system. Is it possible that org.chromium.Chromoting is the Chromium browser and that when I pressed the reset button it corrupted the file?

Let me know if you want me to test anything, or try anything out, but I really want to get this system up and running again.

I went ahead and restored from a Time Machine backup. I then went ahead and repaired disk permissions/repaired the disk from Disk Utility from the Mountain Lion installation flash drive.

I was able to boot into OS X once again by doing all of that. After installing the bootloader again I can boot without the installation flash drive. Let's just hope I don't have any disk I/O errors again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back