Contribute
Register

Hackintosh freezes, internet temporarily goes out for other machines until its restarted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an experience I had with the H87N WiFi. I'm running Mavericks (10.9.3) and ever since installing Mavericks I was getting these freezes as well. I had tried 3-4 different drivers for the ethernet ports but always had freezes within week or sometimes only a day or an hour. It would knock out my whole network until I restarted the computer. After pulling my hair out for months now I finally figure it out.

I downloaded Memtest 4.23 and it only ran about 1 minute before the machine froze. I would get red horizontal lines on the display as well. I tested it several times to be sure. After replacing the memory it's running as well as the Mac Mini or the Mac pro I have. Fast and rock solid.

The memory I was using was defective (G.Skill RipJaws F3-12800CL8D) 2x 4Gb Sticks. One or both were bad. I had some new G.Skill of the same and after installing that I have no problems whatsoever. (Profile 1-1600Mhz) I am using the AppleIntelE1000e v2.5.4d driver on the i217v port (Port Closest to the Audio Ports) with the Atheros port turned off in bios.

I am using the Hack as a server. (10.9.3) and now it has been running for days without one hiccup. The file transfers are faster as well. Boots up faster and shuts down faster too! It just feels like a solid machine once again!!!

All this time I thought it was the AppleIntelE1000 drivers. I installed TechTool Pro 7.0.4 and ran a Memory test for about 8 hours to be sure.

I had these same sticks of memory installed on a GA-H77N WiFi board in this same chassis before this and it never worked very well either, I always thought it was the ethernet drivers then as well.

Hope this might help someone!
Cheers!!!

Just an experience I had with the H87N WiFi. I'm running Mavericks (10.9.3) and ever since installing Mavericks I was getting these freezes as well. I had tried 3-4 different drivers for the ethernet ports but always had freezes within week or sometimes only a day or an hour. It would knock out my whole network until I restarted the computer. After pulling my hair out for months now I finally figure it out.

I'm experiencing exactly the same behaviour, system (GA-H87N-WIFI) randomly freezes, mostly during heavy network traffic (bitt*****t and/or timemachine), and then completely floods the local network (single subnet) blocking all wired and wireless traffic :banghead:

I will do the memory test tonight and report back. Meanwhile, are there other people experiencing the same symptoms?

Update 13-jun-14:
I have run several memory tests and they all succeeded 100%.
So, I'm still looking for a solution?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to bump this for ideas. I'm having the exact same behavior with my Skylake build. I thought it might be a sleep issue but I've since disabled sleep and still getting these freezes that knock out the internet to my entire network. There's nothing that stands out in Console and I've run Rember memory tests overnight a couple times without issue.

Specs
---------
GA-H170-WIFI
- Using latest IntelMausiEthernet drivers and i219 port. Same results with the AppleIntelE1000e driver.
32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4

bump, ideas?

I remember having this sort of problem back in Mavericks. The problem was the ALXEthernet.kext had something called a Memory Leak which caused lock ups. Unplug you're Ethernet and try using the computer normally. See if it still happens.

Just wanted to bump this for ideas. I'm having the exact same behavior with my Skylake build. I thought it might be a sleep issue but I've since disabled sleep and still getting these freezes that knock out the internet to my entire network. There's nothing that stands out in Console and I've run Rember memory tests overnight a couple times without issue.

Specs
---------
GA-H170-WIFI
- Using latest IntelMausiEthernet drivers and i219 port. Same results with the AppleIntelE1000e driver.
32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4
There is a new version of the IntelMausiEthernet driver the solves the problem. It will be incorporated in an update to MultiBeast which will be released before the week's end.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for everything!

I'm having the same Problem now on Sierra, out of a sudden. Before it worked quite perfectly, when suddenly my whole internet went down during the day. The only working solution was to deactivate ethernet on my Hackintosh. :( Any suggestions? I updated to newest mausiEthernet.

I experienced this issue.

[EDIT 20190912]

Turned out that my bios settings (silent-mode) were such that the FANs did not kick in when doing a high performance job (Blender render). The machine just prevented itself rom overheating, leaving itself in a fairly unpredictable state.

After adjusting the FAN settings in the bios and installing FakeSMC sensor kernel extensions to monitor the lot, I think I have solved this issue.

That was a nice theory while it lasted...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back