Contribute
Register

Hackintosh for video editing, some questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AS Rock X99 Extreme 4/3.1
CPU
Intel i7 6850K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0
I'm currently running a 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB OWC Extreme Pro SSD. I do a lot of video and music production work on this machine, and it has served me for three years (with lots of problems along the way, but it survived). I have never had the "it just works" experience with my machines, unfortunately. Now with my Mini's GPU dying on me, I'm looking at a Hackintosh build. I'm dropping $1,500, so I want to be absolutely sure that things will work how they're supposed to, and that the machine will last me for many years. I'm not a rich man...hence going for the Hackintosh in the first place...I just want to get work done. I need power that Apple doesn't offer, and even if they did, it would be out of my price range.

I'm a bit worried about having my Apple ID blacklisted, as I am a developer (the Mini will stick around as my dev machine), so do people generally make new Apple IDs for their hacks?

Here's the build:

Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011030
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB
Fenvi FV8801 AC PCIe WiFi Adapter
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING iCX
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 220-G3-0750-X1, 80+ GOLD, 750W Fully Modular
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz
GIGABYTE GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX

I want to be able to use the SSD I already bought on this new build, and I plan on using my Apple-branded bluetooth mouse and keyboard. My monitor is a Dell Ultrasharp 2412M.

I have built regular PCs before, but I followed two guides to put this one together. I think I have my ducks in a row, I just need someone to double check. I thought about getting a 1060 for half the price of the 1070, but I need all the power I can afford. I appreciate any advice or cautions that anyone can offer. I've been researching for many months already, but there's always something to learn. I'm running Sierra now, and I'm not too concerned about High Sierra compatibility, but it would be nice to be able to stay current I suppose. I just want stability and correct functionality.

You can create a new Apple ID for use with your CustoMac although it's not mandatory. The build choices look good except for the PCI-e wifi card. That will not work. It's not Mac compatible. Look for a BCM94360CD card on Ebay. These were originally iMac Wifi and BT cards that will work OOB in a hack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BC...343993&hash=item1ecde26a7f:g:YbkAAOSwaBZZm6zI

These will likely sell out fast as the OSX Wifi versions have skyrocketed in price lately. Supply of these is small because of the high demand.

Last edited:
I added that to the shopping list, thank you. I just mashed this build together from a couple of different guides on places like 9to5 and such, so this is the kind of information I need.

EDIT: Nevermind I see it just needs a cable of some sort for the Bluetooth functionality.

Last edited:
EDIT: Nevermind I see it just needs a cable of some sort for the Bluetooth functionality.
It comes with the cable. Just connect it to the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard.

I realized that after I had posted, haha. Thank you. I switched out the mobo for the UD-5, since that seems to be mentioned a lot around here (future TB3 support). I've seen the Vega cards mentioned because of their native support with Mac OS, and I've been going back and forth on switching that out, but I don't really have the money. I'm already pushing it with this build as it is. With the 10xx cards, the disadvantage over cards that are natively supported simply comes down to added kext files and/or config.plist editing to get it working, is that correct? Obviously there's the bit about web drivers and waiting to updates Mac OS, but I wasn't sure if I was missing anything there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back