Contribute
Register

Hackintosh for Music Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a mistake ! The Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5 are a mATX (Micro ATX) motherboard, and i need a mini-itx ...

BUT the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac are mini-itx, and have thunderbolt 3 on board.
To my need to connect my firewire interface, can i buy the AS Rock Thunderbolt 3 AIC and connect to the MiniDP my firewire adapter ?

Thanks again !
:)

The ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac already has Thunderbolt 3 support on the motherboard and you will use the Thundebolt 3 port at the back for Thunderbolt functions.

You cannot connect any additional Thunderbolt 3 AIC to the board since it does not have a Thunderbolt header.

The ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac already has Thunderbolt 3 support on the motherboard and you will use the Thundebolt 3 port at the back for Thunderbolt functions.

You cannot connect any additional Thunderbolt 3 AIC to the board since it does not have a Thunderbolt header.

Thanks again !
After a lot of research, i finally found a mobile mATX case which is the Antec VSK2000-U3 !
So i find a motherboard mATX who have the thunderbolt header and i found the Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming5.
Do you think it will working ?
The most with a mATX card that i can add a : Thunderbolt Card, a firewire card and even a graphic card !!

Or do you have some mATX motherboard to advice ?

Thanks again and i'm sorry for the long research :)

Thanks again !
After a lot of research, i finally found a mobile mATX case which is the Antec VSK2000-U3 !
So i find a motherboard mATX who have the thunderbolt header and i found the Gigabyte Z170MX-Gaming5.
Do you think it will working ?
The most with a mATX card that i can add a : Thunderbolt Card, a firewire card and even a graphic card !!

Or do you have some mATX motherboard to advice ?

Thanks again and i'm sorry for the long research :)

So you have finally made up your mind that you should get a GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard?

Yes, it should work with the i7-6700K under Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra.

So you have finally made up your mind that you should get a GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard?

Yes, it should work with the i7-6700K under Sierra 10.12.6 and High Sierra.
Yes , need are to be transportable. So first i would like mini-itx, but i don't find motherboard with thunderbolt.
So, now i think about mATX (micro atx) motherboard because i find a transportable case for mATX like the Antec VSK2000-U3.

I'm looking for the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 or Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5. Which one is the best ?

And i would like to know if it will work in El Capitan with :
i7-6700K (Skylake - El Capitan)
PCI Thunderbolt 3 Gigabyte Alpine Ridge
PCI Firewire
And maybe a good graphic card for my use ...

Yes , need are to be transportable. So first i would like mini-itx, but i don't find motherboard with thunderbolt.
So, now i think about mATX (micro atx) motherboard because i find a transportable case for mATX like the Antec VSK2000-U3.

I'm looking for the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 or Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5. Which one is the best ?

And i would like to know if it will work in El Capitan with :
i7-6700K (Skylake - El Capitan)
PCI Thunderbolt 3 Gigabyte Alpine Ridge
PCI Firewire
And maybe a good graphic card for my use ...

You are certain you can still get the GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 or GA-Z270MX-Gaming 5? Both should work with the i7 6700K in El Capitan and later.

El Capitan may have problems with Thunderbolt 3, as the first Macs available with Thunderbolt 3 were released in October 2016, after the release of MacOS Sierra. So we can assume that Thunderbolt 3 support only comes with Sierra and later.

If you want Thunderbolt 3 now or in the future, you need to run at least MacOS Sierra and not El Capitan.

I understand, and if i buy a PCI Thunderbolt 2 ? it will working i guess ?

I understand, and if i buy a PCI Thunderbolt 2 ? it will working i guess ?

I am not sure. Sure El Capitan should work with Thunderbolt 2, but the problem is even if you manage to find a Thunderbolt 2 add-in card, there is no way to know if they can work with the Z170 or Z270 motherboards you want, unless someone else has already tried it. You should try to ask around if this combination can work first.

You must have a good reason to stick with El Capitan and not Sierra or High Sierra, I guess?

Hey James, thanks for your help. Do I understand from your comments that currently the most stable way to get thunderbolt three for an exterior audio interface is to use the board listed here that hasn’t it onboard?

Kevin

Hey Guys,

New changement !
I search a mini-itx motherboard, working with High Sierra or Mojave with Thunderbolt on board.
Some advice ?

Thanks !

UPDATE: 2019 November 5: When using the following configuration, I can "power-switch-swap" the 003R and get the interface back online, unlike the purely Thunderbolt Apollo 8 Quad.

Hello everybody, I wanted to check in and report that I've got the Digidesign 003R working on via two linked adapter/dongles: The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to FW800 from my GC-Titan Ridge add-in card. The 003R is using the 11.1.5 package which you can still download on the Avid site.

I haven't yet "aggregated" the Digidesign 003R and the UAD Apollo 8 Quad interfaces inside of Pro Tools 2019 yet, but that is the next test. I don't have a need for more inputs this way, but I want to try it and use the Apollo as the master clock.

Questions are always welcome.

Hey Guys,

New changement !
I search a mini-itx motherboard, working with High Sierra or Mojave with Thunderbolt on board.
Some advice ?

Thanks !

This is the one I almost purchased: Check the specs...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763971VK/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back