Intel i7-8700K
Graphics
Radeon Sapphire AMD rx560 4Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys!
I need to build a hackintosh for music production, using Cubase 8 and Ableton 9.7 on 3 monitors, no need for gaming or any other use beside music production.
I'm mac user since 10 years and i'm absolutely no updated to the latest pc components, so i have some probably really basic questions.
1) my mac must be powerful but very stable and compatible. I experienced really lots of problems from Sierra onwards with cracked plugins that are older. Which Os you suggest me? Is it possible to have 2 different versions on the same pc? Like El Capitan and Sierra? If i buy newer components, older osx versions will still work?
2) which MB socket type is the most easy to install hackintosh? I need tb2 and tb3, and lots of usb. Audio i have external interfaces, Apollo tb2 and ni komplete 6 usb. Any specific model you suggest me?
3) which graphic card is the best compromise for running 3 monitors?
4) no wifi card needed (but i guess there is always a possibility to add one later)
5) at least 1 ssd drive and 1 7200rpm drive with 2TB, any suggestions for good quality and compatibility?
Thanks in advance for the replies. Would like to exactly know which component to look for and if i don't find i will look for alternatives.

Hi guys!
I need to build a hackintosh for music production, using Cubase 8 and Ableton 9.7 on 3 monitors, no need for gaming or any other use beside music production.
I'm mac user since 10 years and i'm absolutely no updated to the latest pc components, so i have some probably really basic questions.
1) my mac must be powerful but very stable and compatible. I experienced really lots of problems from Sierra onwards with cracked plugins that are older. Which Os you suggest me? Is it possible to have 2 different versions on the same pc? Like El Capitan and Sierra? If i buy newer components, older osx versions will still work?
2) which MB socket type is the most easy to install hackintosh? I need tb2 and tb3, and lots of usb. Audio i have external interfaces, Apollo tb2 and ni komplete 6 usb. Any specific model you suggest me?
3) which graphic card is the best compromise for running 3 monitors?
4) no wifi card needed (but i guess there is always a possibility to add one later)
5) at least 1 ssd drive and 1 7200rpm drive with 2TB, any suggestions for good quality and compatibility?
Thanks in advance for the replies. Would like to exactly know which component to look for and if i don't find i will look for alternatives.
Follow the yellow brick road. This is link is your best friend. My best advice is to make sure the RAM you buy is qualified for your MOBO, read the MOBO manuals before you buy your RAM. The rest is actually pretty easy, if you hit a snag be almost certain someone else here had found an answer, although you may spend a few hour digging.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/november/2017/

Dan, I have just completed a build, using a focurite studio. My current issue is vast amounts of latency. I have not found a solution or even a clue how to approach yet, but wanted to let you know. If I were looking into building a rig for music, I urge to seek answers to the latency issue first, on proven hardware, before proceeding. I use GarageBand (GB) and currently have latency issues in both directions as tested with a guitar plugged into the focus rite. When direct monitoring, no latency. When monitoring through the GB, massive latency both with and without plug ins. When recording, there is significant latency for the recorded file - 9ms from guitar string strike to file recording in GB.

I do hope to resolve this someday, but until then Ill keep using my OEM hardware.

For your 3 monitor question, what are the resolutions and available port types?

For your 3 monitor question, what are the resolutions and available port types?

This is important. I run two monitors at 4K and that is the pixel equivalent of 8 monitors at 1080P...

As far as HDD, all I can say is do not buy Seagate 3TB drives, ever, at any price. They had a Typhoon go through their production facilities when they were running that particular size and the failure rates for those drives are RIDICULOUS!

Dan, I have just completed a build, using a focurite studio. My current issue is vast amounts of latency. I have not found a solution or even a clue how to approach yet, but wanted to let you know. If I were looking into building a rig for music, I urge to seek answers to the latency issue first, on proven hardware, before proceeding.

I am using a Focusrite 18i20 (2nd Gen) at 32 sample latency or about 7.5ms overall. What is low latency to you? 7.5ms is about what you would hear if you were 2.5 meters way from another musician.
http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/data/time.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back