Gigabyte Z370 HD3P
CPU
i5 8600K
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Alrighty Straight to the point.
I am planning to build a Hankintosh mainly for the Music (Logic pro x) and to spend little time on editing videos. I would be using 3 monitors. After a lot of research I am planning to built it with the following config:

1) Intel Core i5 8600K Processor.
2) Gigabyte Z370 HD3P.
3) Crucial 16GB RAM (DDR4).
4) Samsung SSD 250 GB or 500 GB.
5) Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Internal Hard Drive (WD10JPLX).
6) Need suggestion b/w Corsair HX750 PSU or EVGA 600 Power Supply or any other which will take care the job.
7) I also need suggestion for the PC Case (Which has Type c would be good).

(I know lil bit about computers but not geeky so any help would be really appreciated )

Thanks,
Drac.

( A little background about why I am planning for Hakintosh -
I produce music, RAP, and learning to edit videos.
I bought Mac Air, 2015 model, 2 years back (I was a hardcore fan of windows for 12 + years), after a lot of research on DAW vs DAW and Mac vs PC for music production and video editing. I finally bought it for 56000 ($ 800 USD). 3 months new laptop stopped working, took it to apple store, Apple said mother board failure. I thought "OK" these things happen, my bad luck and waited 3 days and here comes my Mac Air back. 5 months later same thing repeats, Mother board gone, replaced again and 2 days later WIFI card is damaged, Took to the store - they replaced. 7 months later ( Altogether now its 15 months or 1 Year 3 months, Warranty expired), mac started acting crazy few days it work and few days it wont, Took it to the mac said mother board is gone bad again and approx Rs 40000 ($ 570, Earlier it was on warranty so never knew pain, In-fact 2nd time this happened i demanded for a replacement and argument went for weeks they bluntly said No ). Here comes ME, frustrated, ran out of money (In this gap i built by bedroom studio - Monitors (Speakers) - Monitors - Mike - MIDI controller - Acoustic foams, Spent hell lot of money almost all my savings) - Now I am so used to Logic pro X that, I have tried Ableton and FL on my old Windows laptop but I am not able to adjust. Now after a lot of research I dared to take a loan and build Hakintosh, This will be my last bet. So any inputs will be Much Appreciated. I know i have written a short story. but if you have reached this line, Thanks. )

I am planning to build a Hankintosh mainly for the Music (Logic pro x) and to spend little time on editing videos. I would be using 3 monitors. After a lot of research I am planning to built it with the following config:

2) Gigabyte Z370 HD3P.
6) Need suggestion b/w Corsair HX750 PSU or EVGA 600 Power Supply or any other which will take care the job.

(I know lil bit about computers but not geeky so any help would be really appreciated )

Thanks,
Drac.

I bought Mac Air, 2015 model, 2 years back (I was a hardcore fan of windows for 12 + years), after a lot of research on DAW vs DAW and Mac vs PC for music production and video editing. I finally bought it for 56000 ($ 800 USD). 3 months new laptop stopped working, took it to apple store, Apple said mother board failure. I thought "OK" these things happen, my bad luck and waited 3 days and here comes my Mac Air back. 5 months later same thing repeats, Mother board gone, replaced again and 2 days later WIFI card is damaged, Took to the store - they replaced. 7 months later ( Altogether now its 15 months or 1 Year 3 months, Warranty expired), mac started acting crazy few days it work and few days it wont, Took it to the mac said mother board is gone bad again and approx Rs 40000 ($ 570, Earlier it was on warranty so never knew pain, In-fact 2nd time this happened i demanded for a replacement and argument went for weeks they bluntly said No ). Here comes ME, frustrated, ran out of money (In this gap i built by bedroom studio - Monitors (Speakers) - Monitors - Mike - MIDI controller - Acoustic foams, Spent hell lot of money almost all my savings) - Now I am so used to Logic pro X that, I have tried Ableton and FL on my old Windows laptop but I am not able to adjust. Now after a lot of research I dared to take a loan and build Hakintosh, This will be my last bet. So any inputs will be Much Appreciated. I know i have written a short story. but if you have reached this line, Thanks. )

The CPU should be able to handle Logic Pro X fine, here a user with an older generation i7 claims to have gotten over 190 tracks with a bunch of Kontact instruments and sounds going fine.

Your choice of motherboard only has VGA and DVI-D video output. This will be a problem since you want to use 3 monitors. Generally speaking, macOS works best with DisplayPort output. HDMI and DVI can be a bit of a hit or miss and VGA (aka analog output) is just no longer supported. Therefore, you will probably need a video card...

For video card, I highly suggest an AMD RX 560-580 or Vega card. These are supported by macOS. I recommend avoiding Nvidia cards to save yourself some time/headaches.

Any RAM that's compatible with the motherboard will be fine.

Any SATA SSD will work. Most NVMe SSDs should work. Avoid the Samsung PM981 NVMe SSD. This particular SSD has unresolved issues with macOS.

Any SATA hard drive will work.

You can search for an online "power supply wattage calculator" to calculate how large of a power supply you will need. As brands, I believe both Corsair and EVGA power supplies are manufactured by Seasonic, in which case, they should be of very good quality.

Case selection is entirely up to you. There are thousands upon thousands of choices and everyone's taste is different. Choosing a case for my own build took longer than choosing any other component, so you are on your own...

2) Gigabyte Z370 HD3P.

Thanks,
Drac.

The CPU should be able to handle Logic Pro X fine, here a user with an older generation i7 claims to have gotten over 190 tracks with a bunch of Kontact instruments and sounds going fine.

Your choice of motherboard only has VGA and DVI-D video output. This will be a problem since you want to use 3 monitors. Generally speaking, macOS works best with DisplayPort output. HDMI and DVI can be a bit of a hit or miss and VGA (aka analog output) is just no longer supported. Therefore, you will probably need a video card...

For video card, I highly suggest an AMD RX 560-580 or Vega card. These are supported by macOS. I recommend avoiding Nvidia cards to save yourself some time/headaches.

Any RAM that's compatible with the motherboard will be fine.

Any SATA SSD will work. Most NVMe SSDs should work. Avoid the Samsung PM981 NVMe SSD. This particular SSD has unresolved issues with macOS.

Any SATA hard drive will work.

You can search for an online "power supply wattage calculator" to calculate how large of a power supply you will need. As brands, I believe both Corsair and EVGA power supplies are manufactured by Seasonic, in which case, they should be of very good quality.

Case selection is entirely up to you. There are thousands upon thousands of choices and everyone's taste is different. Choosing a case for my own build took longer than choosing any other component, so you are on your own...

Hi!! I am new in the forum. I am almost in the same position (several screens, logic pro, etc). Did you finally made your hackintosh? How did it go? Any issues related with the configuration?

Thanks pastrychef for your advice!

Sorry feartech, I created the account and I am still out of home so cannot access the mac to know the specs. I will do it tonight, as soon as I get at home. I remember the CPU and the graphics (which I updated). I have a MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.4 13" of Late 2013.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back