Contribute
Register

Hackintosh for home studio (audio+video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After i have mavericks up and running on my old pc i'm planning to build a new one more compatible with mac os. The pc is going to be used for audio and video editing at my home studio, so what i need is a powerful machine with stable os. So using buyer's guide here are the parts:

Motherboard: GA-Z87X-UD5H (or GA-X79-UP4)

CPU: Core i7-4770K (or Core i7-4930K)

Cooler:
Cooler Master Seidon 120XL (Water)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX770 4GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400MHz

PSU:
Corsair AX 760 Watt Modular

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Silent

RAM is not included in the guide but i think Vengeance is compatible, right? Do you think i will be satisfied with this setup or should i go for socket 2011? Any suggestions are welcome!

After i have mavericks up and running on my old pc i'm planning to build a new one more compatible with mac os. The pc is going to be used for audio and video editing at my home studio, so what i need is a powerful machine with stable os. So using buyer's guide here are the parts:

Motherboard: GA-Z87X-UD5H (or GA-X79-UP4)

CPU: Core i7-4770K (or Core i7-4930K)

Cooler:
Cooler Master Seidon 120XL (Water)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX770 4GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400MHz

PSU:
Corsair AX 760 Watt Modular

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Silent

RAM is not included in the guide but i think Vengeance is compatible, right? Do you think i will be satisfied with this setup or should i go for socket 2011? Any suggestions are welcome!

There have been problems with installation on Haswell hardware using Corsair RAM lately. Recommended RAM in the Buyer's Guide is now Crucial RAM.
Take a look at the audio/video builds in User Builds / Golden Builds and also in the Clubhouse->System Usage forum for Music and Video

There have been problems with installation on Haswell hardware using Corsair RAM lately. Recommended RAM in the Buyer's Guide is now Crucial RAM.
Take a look at the audio/video builds in User Builds / Golden Builds and also in the Clubhouse->System Usage forum for Music and Video

Thanks for answering! Yes i saw the crucial RAM kits but they're at 1600MHz and i would like at least 2133MHz. What about Kingston or G.Skill that i saw a few builds using it?

Thanks for answering! Yes i saw the crucial RAM kits but they're at 1600MHz and i would like at least 2133MHz. What about Kingston or G.Skill that i saw a few builds using it?

Then you plan to OC the CPU to get the faster RAM speed? It is a waste to get faster RAM than the board will support without overclocking if you don't plan to OC.

Yes, the G.Skill and Kingston will probably work. Best thing to do for determining compatible ram is look at the chart available on the Gigabyte website. Go to the page for your board and click on the CPU/Memory Support and downloads button, then click on the memory support link and download the pdf file. The RAM in the list has been factory tested and known to work with the board.

Then you plan to OC the CPU to get the faster RAM speed? It is a waste to get faster RAM than the board will support without overclocking if you don't plan to OC.

Yes, the G.Skill and Kingston will probably work. Best thing to do for determining compatible ram is look at the chart available on the Gigabyte website. Go to the page for your board and click on the CPU/Memory Support and downloads button, then click on the memory support link and download the pdf file. The RAM in the list has been factory tested and known to work with the board.

Really?? That means that I will not see any difference between 1600mhz and 2400mhz if I don't oc? Didn't know that as this is my first pc that I will build all by myself and I'm not really planning to oc as I want a stable system. Thanks for the useful info!

Really?? That means that I will not see any difference between 1600mhz and 2400mhz if I don't oc? Didn't know that as this is my first pc that I will build all by myself and I'm not really planning to oc as I want a stable system. Thanks for the useful info!

Yes, really. If you look at the specs for a typical Z87 Gigabyte board it says something like:

Support for DDR3 3000(O.C.) / 2933(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2600(O.C.) / 2500(O.C.) / 2400(O.C.) / 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1866(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 MHz memory modules

So you could install 2400 RAM, but it runs at 1600 since that is highest speed without overclocking and you notice the (O.C) for over clock on the higher speed RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back